AWE Experimental Design for Venture Capitalists
- Its been appalling to witness how poorly AWE's venture capitalists have performed basic engineering science, opting instead for fictionalized marketing versions, leading to investment fraud and business failure. Even AWE's academic players mostly neglect broad direct experimentation, and stagnate in overly narrow explorations.
Its really not that hard, guys; modern "controlled" experimental method was well understood and applied even 300yrs ago-
--------sample from the page-------------------
History- Controlled experimentation on scurvy
In 1747, while serving as surgeon on HMS Salisbury, James Lind carried out a controlled experiment to develop a cure for scurvy.
Lind selected 12 men from the ship, all suffering from scurvy. Lind limited his subjects to men who "were as similar as I could have them", that is he provided strict entry requirements to reduce extraneous variation. He divided them into six pairs, giving each pair different supplements to their basic diet for two weeks. The treatments were all remedies that had been proposed:
* A quart of cider every day
* Twenty five gutts (drops) of elixir vitriol (sulphuric acid) three times a day upon an empty stomach,
* One half-pint of seawater every day
* A mixture of garlic, mustard, and horseradish in a lump the size of a nutmeg
* Two spoonfuls of vinegar three times a day
* Two oranges and one lemon every day.
The men who had been given citrus fruits recovered dramatically within a week. One of them returned to duty after 6 days and the others cared for the rest. The others experienced some improvement, but nothing was comparable to the citrus fruits, which were proved to be substantially superior to the other treatments...
Of all AWE players, the KiteLab Group network has been closest to the ideal of testing everything for essential data. Good Experimental Design does not require major funding, credentials, complex instrumentation, or lots of luck.
Thanks to Dave Lang for encouraging persistent experimental AWES work. Fort Felker is also of this school- "Test, test. test, test; and test again"
I am sorry for the Yahoo "CSNBC Jobs" Spam Virus
that hijacked the Contact List for this mail account.
Please accept this apology for any trouble caused.