CC IP, Programmable Matter, and Lattice Gas Automata

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2013
      A powerful new concept of Engineered MegaMaterial emerged on this forum to describe the sorts of 3D airborne latticework of string and membrane that we invented to harvest energy and other applications. This increasingly looks like a game-changing technology on a planetary scale.

      We were compelled to avoid utility patents on this spidery IP, due to the slowness, expense, uncertainty, and coercion involved, relying instead on open source CC IP, based on copyright, and moral rights. We came to understand our creative design process as a kind of computer programming, which has established protections under copyright law, but it would not do if we will be alone in seeing that kite rigging is a programmable computation basis.

      Fortunately, materials and computer science already strongly supports us in this view-

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_matter

      Another conceptual front for our latticework has come to light; "lattice gases", which is an old extension of cellular automata into aerodynamics; so old we would today name the subject "lattice fluids", as the gas-fluid continuum has become better known. The interesting aspect is that lattice gases are a compact means to compute Navier-Stokes Equations for Low-Re flow fields, and that flow features are modeled as automata-

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lattice_gas_automaton

      We were long aware that our state machines are nicely modeled as programmable cellular automata. Our linked arrays in wind flow are more or less exact real-life instances of the Game of Life. Walking the dog at dusk yesterday, a dimly outlined V-formation of geese flew over, with the same cellular automata dynamics uncannily apparent-

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway's_Game_of_Life

      What a vast intellectual wonderland the "simple" kite has led us to. Since Chanute, we have vainly thought a complete theory of kiting was at hand, but now we find that goal just seems to trail off into infinity...