Duke Energy as AWES Early Adopter Case (Powering-Ag Competition)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2013
      In "Powering Agriculture: An Energy Grand Challenge for Development Competition", JohnO has found a potentially ideal opportunity for AWE to incubate small scale agriculture applications. Its worth competing to win, but also smart to try the side-doors for access to funding.

      One Competition partner stood out as a potential AWE funding partner; Duke Energy. This private electrical generation holding company is a corporate beast far beyond our current neoliberal Power Utility model (Austin Energy), with enough baseload and peak capacity generation across North, Central, and South America to power twelve New York City sized supercities. Over the years, Duke has been criticized on several counts, but react agilely to resolve conflict, including favoring Cap-and Trade, and generally maintaining a high-profile progressive public persona to cater to their vast client and investor base. This major clout and visibility is why we find them cheek-to-cheek with USAID and Sweden in this "powering-ag" contest.

      The side-door method is to reach out to the Duke Energy Board, management, and activist share-holders with an "unsolicited proposal" for Duke to incubate AWE tech as a strategic experiment. The required cost is negligible to such a vast enterprise. Various other large powerful entities have been studied for this role, but few have the electrical market expertise, site networks, and political pressures the world's giant electrical utilities do. A proposal to Duke would serve for approaching other utilities.

      Our challenge is to get beyond the fractured AWE small-venture mentality by consolidating into a large global R&D program inclusive of all the best talent (especially academia). This is slowly happening already, but could happen really fast with the right AWES R&D plan and sufficiently large partners-

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Energy

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2013
        To Duke-proposal leader:
           ... I'd put in any AWE eggs I have ...into the basket.
        ~JoeF
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2013
          My hen started laying again the other day.
          nice blue ones

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
            I'd have thought Japanese energy companies to be ideal partners.
            Limited land, a government dedicated to green energy but against nuclear, and Nissan has just invested 4bn on electric vehicles.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
              Rod,

              Japan is a national special case, following Fukushima. We count on the anti-nuke movement to pick up on our work as we continue to progress. The Mothra project is a clear nod to Japanese pop anti-nuke mythology (rather than crass copyright infringement). Kite Master, Mikio Toki, is a top Mothra project fan, but he is more a fun-loving unaffiliated-samurai than a corporate player.

              The Japanese zaibatsus will surely figure in AWE, but its hard for outside Westerners to make anything happen without some deep connection. We have the Deming TQC pass-key in high-tech to try. I sought to revive a Kawasaki heir (quasi-royalty) connection a couple years ago that an Austin friend cultivated, but nothing happened (yet). Our Chinese friends have been tasked with Asia development, but Japan is still only on the to-do list. We lost Trein as Our Man in Kyoto; he is now Our Man in Brazil. The two Iranian students who did some AWE study in Japan were probably regarded as carnival bears, but we can ask them to report. Its far easier to break into Italian Mafia AWE, than crack fortress Japan.

              If Japanese AWE developments delay too long, i will activate my retired "Japanese Unclesan" in Hawaii (Roel Gorena), an amazing case of a Mexican-American astronomer who turned Japanese (even to his bathtub, in a live-in Japanese antiquities museum of his creation), embraced by them as their own, as a Zen Master even. Sadly, he decades ago ordered me not to "invade" the island nation for booty, as then planned, but we count on him for sage advice, as the time now warrants.

              Prediction- Japan will mobilize suddenly and to great effect in AWE,

              daveS

              PS The Duke buzz smoked out some eager players who thought it was a done-deal. Everybody note that we are putting value on upfront sweat-equity work, so get moving if you want to be well positioned (all early AWE work counts). Showing late with hat-in-hand is not a favored strategy.