Cybernetical Physics- A Unifying Paradigm for AWES Design?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 26, 2012
      There has been considerable debate on the AWES Forum over what control and physical science paradigms best address our exploratory engineering needs. On one side we have classicists, who insist well established concepts suffice; on the the other we have revolutionists who draw inspiration from late-modern thinking, and even seek to discover bold new ideas from kites.

      Modern Science is a vast world, with many "schools" and branches. Cybernetical Physics has emerged as a reasonable middle-ground for reconciling classic and revolutionary AWE views. Without being stuck in the past or idolizing ultra-modernist kite physics, most of us easily accept Cybernetics and Physics as they co-evolved during the last seventy years into interdisciplinary Cybernetical Physics. The following article stays on solid ground (no megascale phonon qubits, etc.), but still addresses specific advanced AWES control issues; like chaos control, complex regulation, oscillation, and synchrony -

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetical_physics
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2012
        This looks like an excellent addition to simple, static engineering analysis.  All the imagination-stretching exercises can be applied directly, instead of needing to be translated back up to ordinary scales by analogy.
        Another expansion of understanding for the practical engineer is to give up the notion of even nominal rigidity, and get in the habit of noticing the stress risers at every interface where the amount of strain changes.  This is less useful in kite work, with predominantly tension forces, but advanced sails are now made by laying tape into molds along the lines of stress.  It will be recalled the the yacht America, which is forever associated with a cup donated by Queen Victoria, won it by simply re-aligning the canvas for her triangular sails so they held their shape.

        Bob Stuart