Wind Powered Vertical Lift (Review and Update)

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
      Kites can far exceed the lifting power of any other aviation technology at far less cost per unit mass. Vertical Lift is effectively engineerable anti-gravity, a Newtonian "up" force. For AWES, the relationship of Lift with Energy is subtle enough that its easy to overlook important principles. The most basic fact is that excess weight aloft robs useful lift, and requires extra power to sustain.

      A classic kite approach to useful up-force is modular pilot-lift to carry suspended payloads. This is not so different than how a crane or elevator works. By contrast, many AWES concepts avoid the modular use of lift to carry up dedicated WECS, hoping for complex controls to best maintain a controlled lift and balanced power extraction.

      We have explored how the planetary gravity well can be used as an energy storage medium, from pumped hydro in mine shafts to ballast mass lifted higher or lowered according to load demand. Water and ice ballast mass is a practical medium for this. In the simplest version of this principle, a high-flying kite is slowly brought down during lulls to buy time to rise again when the breeze returns. A floaty kite at a few thousand meters can take hours to use up its altitude.

      "Excess lift" beyond what is needed just to maintain flight has a useful role in tensioning the AWES rig upward. Drag is also added as needed for more tension. Such pre-tension is an essential precondition of efficient line pumping. For a normal kiteline tilted downwind, the catenary formed by gravity adds to the catenary by wind drag, creating an elastic cushion to damp shock-load transients that might otherwise break the string. Sadly, if you want to pump a kiteline to transmit power, this damping factor robs power, although the catenary is tensioned enough to transmit anyway. If you can tilt the kiteline into the wind, it develops vertical lift to cancel gravity. Pumping then becomes more optimally efficient. Another work-around is to let a thick mass of kite mainline hold its fixed catenary and use secondary thin low stretch lines to do the power pumping. Best of all might be to combine both ideas, if practical rigging allows.

      It may be that vertical kite lift is ultimately more valuable for endless applications not directly related to energy markets. Vertical lift allows us to spread upward and to create useful space, as "Airborne Architecture". We even see how such airborne structure could be someday be permanently deployed on a planetary scale, by pumping in energy to calm zones from below or adjoining regions. Transportation and communications networks could become airborne networks, with hubs aloft.

      A focus on vertical lift is most strategic for AWE. In principle, any WECS can be lifted into better wind by cheap lift. Those who master the New Aviation generally are best prepared to master any branch of it. 2013 is looking like a big year for demonstrating "living and working aloft" by wind-powered vertical lift. This is an ideal time to "get in at the bottom" of the new "high civilization".

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
        • Vertical lift by kite systems
          •  AirborneWindEnergy/message/8077
          • Lift items and then drop them
          • Lift platforms, living quarters, aircraft
          • Lift water to let out for fire fighting or wetting plants or people.
          • Lift seeds for dropping into welcoming soil.
          • Lift large bulky items from one place and let the item down in another place.
          • Lift water to cool the water; bring the water back down for use.
          • Lift hang gliders as a launch method.
          • Lift AWES wing sets into higher wind levels
          • Lift cameras for aerial photography.
          • Lift a mass for dropping to crush itself or to crush other items.
          • Lift pole ends and tower ends.
          • Lift lumber for moving the lumber from one place to another.
          • Lift animals out of ravines.
          • Lift harvested crops from one place and let the load ride the main tether back to a processing center.
          • Lift batteries to be charge aloft by wind or solar or both; then let the batteries back down for use.
          • Lift people for view pleasure.
          • Lift observers.
          • Lift food to keep the food cool in cooler upper airs.
          • Lift the top end of a recreational climbing rope.
          • Lift large catch nets
          • ?

          Please send your kite-system-lifting notes to Editor@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
          Lifting communications devices
          Lifting hoses and clothes to dry
          Lifting wicks to moisten the air
          Lifting screens for backdrops and projection
          Lifting extrusion devices for long fall cooling, drying and stretching of extruded material
          Lifting anything a crane lifts, from container ships out in the bay to dock
          Lifting bags of deep water through mangles to pressurise the bags and power turbines
          Lifting hulls to offset drag
          Lifting ocean sediment to use as fertiliser
          Lifting dredged crud from the ocean floor for clean disposal.

          If inverted in tidal streams...
          Pulling bags of air down...

          --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Faust" <joefaust333@...> wrote:

          > * Vertical lift by kite systems
          > * AirborneWindEnergy/message/8077
          > <http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/AirborneWindEnergy/message/8077>
          > * Lift items and then drop them
          > * Lift platforms, living quarters, aircraft
          > * Lift water to let out for fire fighting or wetting plants or
          > people.
          > * Lift seeds for dropping into welcoming soil.
          > * Lift large bulky items from one place and let the item down in
          > another place.
          > * Lift water to cool the water; bring the water back down for use.
          > * Lift hang gliders as a launch method.
          > * Lift AWES wing sets into higher wind levels
          > * Lift cameras for aerial photography.
          > * Lift a mass for dropping to crush itself or to crush other items.
          > * Lift pole ends and tower ends.
          > * Lift lumber for moving the lumber from one place to another.
          > * Lift animals out of ravines.
          > * Lift harvested crops from one place and let the load ride the main
          > tether back to a processing center.
          > * Lift batteries to be charge aloft by wind or solar or both; then
          > let the batteries back down for use.
          > * Lift people for view pleasure.
          > * Lift observers.
          > * Lift food to keep the food cool in cooler upper airs.
          > * Lift the top end of a recreational climbing rope.
          > * Lift large catch nets
          > * ?
          >
          > Please send your kite-system-lifting notes to
          > Editor@... <mailto:Editor@...>

        • Rod Read
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
            Sinister uses
            Lifting UV LEDs for crop lighting at night
            Lifting prisoners
            Lifting aerosol medicines for dispersal
            Lifting surveillance devices
            Lifting the back of bankers pants over their heads for thorough wedgying

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
              The inputs to this topic thread  or notes sent directly to the editor for the the following folder will be sifted for additions to

              What?
              How?
              Tips?
              Economy?
              Safety?
              Experimental reports?
              Links?
            • dbmurr@ymail.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2012
                Danielle Berwick of the University of Toronto presents an intriguing possibility...

                This may be worth adding to JoeF's list of "vertical lift by kite systems" from post #8078 ( http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/ group/AirborneWindEnergy/ message/8078 ). Kites may provide the mental lift required for the paradigm shift that would enable serious development & adoption of utility scale AWE systems.

                Lift,
                DaveB

                --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Faust" wrote: * Vertical lift by kite systems * AirborneWindEnergy/message/8077 * Lift items and then drop them * Lift platforms, living quarters, aircraft * Lift water to let out for fire fighting or wetting plants or people. * Lift seeds for dropping into welcoming soil. * Lift large bulky items from one place and let the item down in another place. * Lift water to cool the water; bring the water back down for use. * Lift hang gliders as a launch method. * Lift AWES wing sets into higher wind levels * Lift cameras for aerial photography. * Lift a mass for dropping to crush itself or to crush other items. * Lift pole ends and tower ends. * Lift lumber for moving the lumber from one place to another. * Lift animals out of ravines. * Lift harvested crops from one place and let the load ride the main tether back to a processing center. * Lift batteries to be charge aloft by wind or solar or both; then let the batteries back down for use. * Lift people for view pleasure. * Lift observers. * Lift food to keep the food cool in cooler upper airs. * Lift the top end of a recreational climbing rope. * Lift large catch nets * ? Please send your kite-system-lifting notes to Editor@...