Can promised future carbon offsets fund a cooperative ?

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
      Carbon Credit markets are shady and very loosely regulated.
      Can a cooperative can trade shares in promised future carbon offsets.

      Say we conceive a project,
      State in engineering terms the goals and realistic expected results in terms of tonnes of carbon emissions reductions  ...
      Can we sell those future credits now in order to fund the project? $9/tonne?

      The Realistic Nature of the project would no doubt have to be verified and the actual results checked in order that the scheme be legal...

      How much can be raised this way? (none legally?)

      If we didn't reach our target would we have to scrub co2 from dishes in restaurants?

      It's not only aluminium smelters want this..
      companies with a public face will soon want a piece ...

      quote..
      in recent years, some companies have backed away from offsets and RECs. In 2011, for instance, computer maker Dell announced that it had ended its purchases of RECs for the purpose of classifying its operations as carbon neutral. Nike and PepsiCo stopped buying RECs and carbon offsets in 2010. The reason: to focus on direct investments that will accelerate their use of alternative energy sources. That's great, if a company is savvy enough to know how to carry out such direct investments.

      Would WOW market an offset fund of a set number of shares per year?

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
        Can we form a project to meet this standard to qualify for offseting?
        http://www.cdmgoldstandard.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/GSv2.2_Requirements.pdf

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2012
              This is an excellent idea, but there is high ethical risk involved. If we as an industry were to market our potential carbon offets as a futures play, then we must succeed. A Gold Standard offset partner would help bring third party credibility to such an instrument. A corporation might be convinced to fund AWE R&D on the basis of claimed future offsets, but its a bold move. Its not likely that this quasi-Enron scheme is compatible with Kyoto yet.

              If we do succeed as world heroes, then this will have have been a great play. Otherwise, if the money is spent lavishly, and no viable utility-scale AWES results, we would be scoundrels. We need a bit more due diligence in showing a working TRS-9 technology without exotic financing. One thing is clear, raising millions in AWE on the strength of wild promises is less viable these days. The next rounds of investment will be more sober.

              Roddy, your Kite Power Cooperative could be a great vehicle for the AWE Basket Fund. Be ready to formalize it under Scottish/UK law, and make sure the participations (board) and presentations (PR) are representative of broad AWE R&D. The Offset Futures mechanism might follow.