AWEC Ethical Standards //Re: Springer Open-Access option rejected

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 9, 2012
      PJ,

      You wrote- "Many recent communications from you have not appeared to be following this (GSA ethics) Code."

      Please be specific, out of fairness: What exact comments failed the ethical standards we agreed to aspire to? I can then retract and apologize for them. Likewise, my prior ethical complaints about Uwe Ahrens' (NTS/textbook/AWEC) conflicts-of-interest are hereby referenced with respect to our adoptive ethical code-

      The Sciences and Profession
      "Geoscientists should ensure that their scientific contributions, and those of their collaborators, are thorough, accurate, and unbiased in design, implementation, and presentation..maintain integrity in all conduct and publications... Conflicts of interest and scientific misconduct, such as...omission/suppression of results...are incompatible with this Code.

      My specific ethical complaint is that Uwe has a professional conflict-of-interest between his investors interests* and best-practice science. The fear is that his book will therefore tend toward "omission/supression of results" that invalidate the NTS technology model and business claims. I am drafting a preliminary list of AWES engineering-science findings contradictory to NTS claims that seem in danger of omission/suppression.

      Thanks for finally making ethics at least a professed AWEC priority. This is a fine first test if such a commitment was sincere. Ignoring unethical behavior, like you suggest, may be grossly negligent,

      dave

      * Credo- NTS Management Objectives ...The management commits itself to conduct business in a manner to generate and safeguard long-term value for clients, suppliers, investors and employees.

      Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 11:12:21 -0800 (PST)
      From: dave santos
      Subject: Springer Open-Access option rejected
      To: "AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com"
      Cc: Uwe Ahrens , "P. Shepard" , Guido Lütsch , Moritz Diehl , Joe Faust , John Oyebanji , Richard Ampyx
      Dear Roland, Moritz, and Uwe

      Thanks for responding to the urgent Springer Textbook question.

      Its sad a decision was privately made to reject the Springer Open Access option and enforce a flawed "classical publishing agreement" that is far less progressive than evolving modern best-practice. Whoever signed this book deal deserves blame for greatly discouraging vital participation by the growing open-source knowledge movement in AWE. Of course i would have gladly contributed and helped raise funds for an open-knowledge project! Instead, folks like me are compelled to withhold submitting "chapters". Its sad NTS refused to cover this particular expense from its PR budget, since it unfairly counts on being preferentially featured.

      Everyone should know that Springer is just a resold brand with chequered roots, not really a reliable world standard of scientific excellence that Uwe seems to imagine. Low current standards at Springer seem to explain how he mysteriously became Lead Editor. Despite a confused denial, he clearly does have major conflicts-of-interest in all this-

      For the good of the AWE community, Uwe should resign as lead Editor, and let Moritz be the far better qualified choice.

      With deep regrets,

      daveS

      PS So who will respond to the specific questions about AWEC governance and the Berlin conference planning?  Should we write these questions off as more private dealings being covered-up? Many of our Berlin hopes are being crushed.

      PPS I will next respond to Uwe's request in detail ("explain to the whole community what [my] problem is (with NTS)").

      From: Uwe Ahrens <Uwe.Ahrens@...>
      To: dave

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2012