Multi Altitude Arches and Tethered Networks ///Re: [AWES] Cost analysis of reeling system without kite

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 16, 2012
      Robert wrote- "In a farm setting the master computer controlling farm strategy will fly
      some kites higher than others so that winds over a wide altitude range
      are harvested. I therefore doubt kite arches and tethered networks will
      be a dominant feature in our efforts to stop ourselves being cooked by
      global warming."

      This kite arch/array logic is puzzling, given so much validated art.

      Perhaps you overlooked the wonderful image of (our partner) Ed Jensen's AKA award-winning multi-arches (many arches set one just above the next) that flew at WSIKF2012 (where Mothra1 did its public debut). There are also many concept drawings in circulation showing how neatly arches can entirely cover the kite window, from surface to apogee. WECS on halyards can fill in the space under a single arch. Arch networks can be designed for dimensional depth along the wind axis as well (airborne matrix method).

      Its single-line-AWES-unit arrays that seem "coverage disadvantaged" for farm use. Close-spaced automated flight operations would be a control nightmare. Note that megascale arched kite structure does not inherently require computers to fly stably, although computers have good secondary uses.

    • Robert Copcutt
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 16, 2012
        Dave,

        The arch concept drawings may indeed look great, but at the moment that
        is all they are - drawings. Sure they have advantages and I did not
        totally dismiss them. My interest is large scale wind power and to
        achieve that we need AWECS with a low cost. To get that we need mass
        production. To get that we need to concentrate global effort onto just a
        few winning designs.

        An AWECS farm need not be concentrated into a small area. The main
        control issue will be predicting where the several kilometre long wakes
        will be so that each kite has the cleanest possible air.

        Computers are an essential element of AWE and a lack of realisation of
        this is, I am sure, the main reason AWE is not already a significant
        industry. Skysails understand this which is why they are leaders in the
        field. The need for human interaction is expensive and often unreliable.
        My ambition is to see huge farms floating on the open oceans. Total
        automation is vital for that and although the development costs are high
        the implementation costs are relatively tiny.

        Robert.

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 16, 2012
          Robert,

          How funny of you to imply KiteLab Austin (or Kitelab Group) is anti-computer (compared to you). Many of our career backgrounds are in avionics, computer science, and robotics, with multiple awards from NASA and others for excellence in pioneering autonomous platforms. This is not unique prowess for my part, but a team expression of the social miracle that made Austin Texas a high-tech Mecca.

          Our key local partners include National Instruments, the leading supplier of R&D automation tools to several top AWE teams around the world. If Silicon Labs (founded in Austin) ultimately supplies the mass embedded-controllers for AWES to the world, thank KiteLab for first lining them up. Would you like some EVB kits?

          KiteLab Austin has long been excited about supervised computer automation of AWES, but with maximal inherent flight stabilities. Supervised automation is also the paradigm of SkySails, and my past Forum posts have consistently lauded this control model. Its wrong for VisVentis to imagine the search for inherent AWES stabilities is somehow Luddite, when its really a key to the cheap simple systems it seeks to create.

          When you finally are ready to formally propose a formal autonomous control architecture specification, count on KiteLab Group for the most advanced help and insights.

          Re: Arches- Thanks, the drawings do "indeed look great"; but make no mistake, many of those drawings are the actual shop plans for kite energy experiments that were successfully built and flown. Note that Mothra1 short-lined already fills its kite window, a real-world demonstrator of how arches can fill the sky as they continue to scale. Please study and fly arches (test, test, test) before drawing such badly mistaken impressions,

          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 17, 2012
            Looks interesting and promising Robert.
            I hope you would forgive me for suggesting that to me, it looks like the beginnings of a SuperTurbine emerging from the ground, like a germinated seed, displaying its first leaf, barely suggesting the beginnings of a full-grown plant.
            :)

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 17, 2012
              At one time, most of the midwest was powered by small wind turbines, called Winchargers etc. The operative working energy transfer medium was a piece of 3/4 inch thick lumber 5 or 6 feet long with an airfoil carved into it.
              The reason it caught on was it was simple and cheap and it had overspeed protection so it survived.

              After that, big government and utility programs made sure they were all taken down as a condition of having power lines installed.
              The fight of bureaucracy against green energy has a long history - independence is a nice buzzword but meanwhile, keeping us dependent is more profitable.
              But I think small inventors like us will be the ones who develop the technology, not some big government program. My opinion.

              Anyway, some gigantic world effort to develop AWE would be more likely once such a promising example is there to prove it is viable at all. God forbid we rely on government programs to develop the technology in the first place. You can see how much progress they are making so far.
              Bureaucracies hate to actually solve problems since it means they can't rewrite the same old grant proposal to get more funding.
              There, how's that for a theory!
              :)

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 17, 2012
                Unforgivable Selsam.
                For so many reasons

                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                  Roddy
                  Your plant has more leaves. Now all it needs is more levels. I was hoping someone on this list would start making sense at some point. Glad you happened along.
                  Superturbine(TM) was developed in response to the question:
                  "If nature could grow a wind turbine, what might it look like?"

                  As opposed to laddermill, which was developed along the lines of "the blade tips give the most power, so we have all tips" (I'm always amused that Makani hangs their hat on that theme, with so many other various configurations able to make the same claim more accurately. I don't know of any blade tips sporting auxilary propellers to make the power but, hey, everyone is free to promote their best marketing logic...)

                  Funny I've never heard anyone claim to just place blade roots in the air. "Our kite is similar to a blade root" though it may be true in many cases.

                  --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:

                  > Unforgivable Selsam.
                  > For so many reasons
                  >
                  > --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, "Doug" <doug@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Looks interesting and promising Robert.
                  > > I hope you would forgive me for suggesting that to me, it looks like the beginnings of a SuperTurbine emerging from the ground, like a germinated seed, displaying its first leaf, barely suggesting the beginnings of a full-grown plant.
                  > > :)
                  > >
                  > > --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, Robert Copcutt <r@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Doug,
                  > > >
                  > > > Once the manually piloted Visventis rig is developed my plan was to
                  > > > start on exactly the sort of system you describe. By controlling the
                  > > > current from the generator you effectively control the tether tension.
                  > > > Even our first rig will need current control. The new venue where we
                  > > > moved the rig last month has a number of computer control and robotics
                  > > > enthusiasts. The new Raspberry Pi (costs $35) was developed locally and
                  > > > could easily do all the calculations for controlling the tension at the
                  > > > appropriate level. The step from having the manually powered control arm
                  > > > we have now to flying the kite by joystick may not be a very large one.
                  > > >
                  > > > The joystick allows much bigger kites to be flown but big kites have
                  > > > problems. Too big and they might upset the grid, as Dave suggested.
                  > > > Difficult launching is another as Kitegen seem to have found.
                  > > >
                  > > > There will be a parallel effort for a while where some work on larger
                  > > > kites and others work on automating more sub-systems within the whole
                  > > > AWECS. However, once full automation is achieved the need for huge kites
                  > > > will fall away. It will be cheaper to mass produce a standard moderate
                  > > > sized kite model.
                  > > >
                  > > > In a farm setting the master computer controlling farm strategy will fly
                  > > > some kites higher than others so that winds over a wide altitude range
                  > > > are harvested. I therefore doubt kite arches and tethered networks will
                  > > > be a dominant feature in our efforts to stop ourselves being cooked by
                  > > > global warming.
                  > > >
                  > > > Robert.

                • Robert Copcutt
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                    Dave S., you are such hard work. You twist things to imply insult where
                    none was intended. I am glad to hear KiteLab is embracing everything
                    high tech. I never meant to imply it was not. However, you have released
                    very little hard information about what you are doing there other than
                    Mothra1 which appears to have no high tech components. Inherent
                    stability is certainly an advantage but history suggests it is
                    insufficient on its own. I look forward to working in a community where
                    KiteLab contributes to the open source automation effort.

                    Certainly we must test test test but it costs time and money, even when
                    we restrict ourselves to tiny kites. I therefore choose to bet on fairly
                    small groundgens each controlling a single kite, or a dancing pair or
                    triplet. I choose to watch from a distance those who bet on connected
                    arrays - kixels as they were dubbed.

                    Robert.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                      I think it's a bit much to expect the Americans to have humour Robert,
                      It's a very new language English.
                      Go easy on them. You'll probably see they're nice folks deep down.

                      As for systems development... Is there a particular control system you
                      would like to see work done on?
                      We could share work on systems development diagrams or blocks of object
                      code etc....

                    • Robert Copcutt
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                        On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 16:31 +0100, Robert Copcutt wrote:

                        > Inherent
                        > stability is certainly an advantage --

                        Having said that we also need to consider the example of fighter
                        aircraft which have been developed with obscenely large budgets. These
                        huge budgets seem to have come to the conclusion that inherently
                        unstable aircraft are better - at least for fighters.

                        Robert.
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                          All other aircraft are still built with inherent stability.  A fighter pilot has such a great interest in instant maneuvering that it pays to rely totally on computer control.  Do we need to make lightning maneuvers to "fly around" a gust, or just tend toward stability?

                          Bob Stuart

                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                            On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 10:12 -0600, Bob Stuart wrote:

                            > Do we need to make lightning maneuvers to "fly around" a gust, or just
                            > tend toward stability?

                            Avoiding bats and birds?
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                              At least we learned English from books, so we don't have accumulated shortcuts grandfathered in for 1000 years that make us sound like we have a speech impediment! Since when are we supposed to remove the letter "r" wherever we see it, and insert it at the end of every word that ends in a vowel? Dang, get those marbles out of your mouth. If our kids talk like you Brits, we put them into speech therapy.
                              :)))
                              (But it sounds so sexy, and everyone loves it!)
                              Here in Los Angeles, with everyone fancying themselves a Shakespearian-trained actor, half the people sport fake partial British accents anyway - you can hear it in the SoCal overall accent if you listen closely.
                              Blimey! you Limey!
                              :)

                              Control systems: the ones I like best are based on favorable geometry and few if any moving parts, no electronics. Like an airplane is built so if you fall asleep it just flies straight, with no control input, due to its physical configuration.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                                Hey Robert:
                                Congratulations to anyone actually building and testing, by the way.
                                I was wondering, I'm not sure if I understand actually:
                                What is the ultimate concept you are pursuing? I mean how in general is your machine supposed to work? Sorry for not fully understanding.
                                :)
                                Doug

                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                                  Robert complains, "...you have released very little hard information about what you are doing [with high tech] other than
                                  Mothra1 which appears to have no high tech components. "

                                  Sorry for a lack of "hard information". Let VisVentis set the standard for that metric.

                                  A quick review of KiteLab Group "high-tech" work-

                                  NextGen aviation design: Open-Source METAR parser, TACO 1.0, AWES specialty avionics,

                                  Experimental methods: videogrammetry, digital data-loggers, power electronics (metering, smoothing, etc), etc.

                                  Theoretical: Embodied Field-Computing as superior to conventional digital controls for inherent stabilites; "Quantum Kiting".

                                  Let me know if you have questions or trouble finding documentation on these and other KiteLab Group "high-tech" work products. Mothra1 is not as low-tech as you suggest, if an embodied field computing theoretic basis is allowed in your definition of "high-tech". Mothra tech would not exist at all without such advanced concepts to inspire its innovations. Don't be fooled: Mothra is itself a "high-tech component".

                                  daveS

                                  PS Please share your hard information regarding your "dancing pair or triplet" kite AWES concept.

                                  Dave S., you are such hard work. You twist things to imply insult where
                                  none was intended. I am glad to hear KiteLab is embracing everything
                                  high tech. I never meant to imply it was not. However, you have released
                                  very little hard information about what you are doing there other than
                                  Mothra1 which appears to have no high tech components. Inherent
                                  stability is certainly an advantage but history suggests it is
                                  insufficient on its own. I look forward to working in a community where
                                  KiteLab contributes to the open source automation effort.

                                  Certainly we must test test test but it costs time and money, even when
                                  we restrict ourselves to tiny kites. I therefore choose to bet on fairly
                                  small groundgens each controlling a single kite, or a dancing pair or
                                  triplet. I choose to watch from a distance those who bet on connected
                                  arrays - kixels as they were dubbed.

                                  Robert.

                                  On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 20:59 -0700, dave santos wrote:

                                  > Robert,
                                  >
                                  > How funny of you to imply KiteLab Austin (or Kitelab Group) is
                                  > anti-computer (compared to you). Many of our career backgrounds are in
                                  > avionics, computer science, and robotics, with multiple awards from
                                  > NASA and others for excellence in pioneering autonomous platforms.
                                  > This is not unique prowess for my part, but a team expression of the
                                  > social miracle that made Austin Texas a high-tech Mecca.
                                  >

                                  > Our key local partners include National Instruments, the leading
                                  > supplier of R&D automation tools to several top AWE teams around the
                                  > world. If Silicon Labs (founded in Austin) ultimately supplies the
                                  > mass embedded-controllers for AWES to the world, thank KiteLab for
                                  > first lining them up. Would you like some EVB kits?
                                  >
                                  > KiteLab Austin has long been excited about supervised computer
                                  > automation of AWES, but with maximal inherent flight stabilities.
                                  > Supervised automation is also the paradigm of SkySails, and my past
                                  > Forum posts have consistently lauded this control model. Its wrong for
                                  > VisVentis to imagine the search for inherent AWES stabilities is
                                  > somehow Luddite, when its really a key to the cheap simple systems it
                                  > seeks to create.
                                  >

                                  > When you finally are ready to formally propose a formal autonomous
                                  > control architecture specification, count on KiteLab Group for the
                                  > most advanced help and insights.
                                  >

                                  > Re: Arches- Thanks, the drawings do "indeed look great"; but make no
                                  > mistake, many of those drawings are the actual shop plans for kite
                                  > energy experiments that were successfully built and flown. Note that
                                  > Mothra1 short-lined already fills its kite window, a real-world
                                  > demonstrator of how arches can fill the sky as they continue to scale.
                                  > Please study and fly arches (test, test, test) before drawing such
                                  > badly mistaken impressions,
                                  >
                                  > daveS

                                • Rod Read
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012

                                    I have found it hard lately to document every last knot and the reasoning behind it... however
                                    I covet the Mothra designs in a most un-wholesome way.

                                    Go on show us yer kit too Dave S.
                                    Good close up, high def internet photo style rigging detail. phwoooaaarrrrr

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 18, 2012
                                      Rod,

                                      Mothra was built directly from the single sheet plan drawing shared directly to you months ago. Joe hosted it somewhere as well. The basic Kixel method is essential, and well covered in the single-tarp Mothra predecessors. Another key is to never knot the main loadpaths, but prusik or lash onto them, to maintain the full rated rope strength,

                                      Ed will soon post lots of detail shots of the anchors, fittings, knots, etc.. He informs us that he has designed and built a mini-Mothra, and is testing it in New Mexico; so we await those details too, when he gets back to Texas.

                                      Don't be afraid to rig your own tarp variants, while you wait for the delayed information,

                                      daveS

                                      PS Robert needs to rewatch that Dutch wind professor video you found explaining the role for multi-blades in places like Aeromotors and turbofan engines. Multi-blades in AWE is not the "newbie fallacy", dismissing them a-priori is. Can you find the link again?
                                    • Robert Copcutt
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                        Doug,

                                        We use an ordinary kite of a size to suit the weather. At the moment we
                                        only have 4 line kits so we tie-off the de-power lines right at the
                                        kite. The 2 tethers run through 2 pulleys on the steering bar. The
                                        steering bar is supported on a pivot so that the pilot only needs to
                                        apply the steering force with his arms. From the pulleys the tethers run
                                        to reels. For the moment both reels will be locked together. The reels
                                        are mounted on a long horizontal support with the pilot seated on the
                                        other end. It is all on our website along with photos of what has been
                                        made so far. I hope that helps.

                                        The next stage of development I had proposed was very similar to what
                                        NASA seem to be doing. The difference is I would use 3 lines so that the
                                        angle of attack and flight path of the kite can be precisely controlled
                                        at all times. It allows very quick rewinding of the tethers if the kite
                                        can turned to face into the wind. Three independently controlled tethers
                                        also allows us to fly a much more aerodynamic kite.

                                        Robert.

                                        On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 19:04 +0000, Doug wrote:

                                        > Hey Robert:
                                        > Congratulations to anyone actually building and testing, by the way.
                                        > I was wondering, I'm not sure if I understand actually:
                                        > What is the ultimate concept you are pursuing? I mean how in general
                                        > is your machine supposed to work? Sorry for not fully understanding.
                                        > :)
                                        > Doug

                                      • Robert Copcutt
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                          Rod,

                                          Thanks for the offer. I will add a new post to the Visventis web site as
                                          soon as I can detailing some next steps. What we will probably both find
                                          useful fairly soon is a MPPT type controller (maximum power point
                                          tracking). It gets the generator turning at the optimum speed to suit
                                          the wind strength.

                                          I am trying to go easy on everyone. My focus is on getting real AWECS
                                          out there generating power asap so sometimes the limitations of text
                                          only forums take their toll.

                                          Robert.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                            Thanks Robert,
                                            So an MPPT controller for an AWES ...
                                            is going to have to take a lot of input data
                                            learn what is good for generating power whilst staying safe
                                            apply and monitor the real and predicted changes

                                            cor it's an ask but not impossible
                                            I started a list of AWE parameters a while back
                                            This was the start of the list and it went on loads... http://kitepowercoop.org/images/3d-designs/design%20pics/export/parameters.jpg

                                            I'm sure it can be whittled down and made relevant to each system.

                                            --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, Robert Copcutt <r@...> wrote:

                                            > Rod,
                                            >
                                            > Thanks for the offer. I will add a new post to the Visventis web site as
                                            > soon as I can detailing some next steps. What we will probably both find
                                            > useful fairly soon is a MPPT type controller (maximum power point
                                            > tracking). It gets the generator turning at the optimum speed to suit
                                            > the wind strength.
                                            >
                                            > I am trying to go easy on everyone. My focus is on getting real AWECS
                                            > out there generating power asap so sometimes the limitations of text
                                            > only forums take their toll.
                                            >
                                            > Robert.
                                            >

                                            > On Thu, 2012-10-18 at 15:44 +0000, roderickjosephread wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I think it's a bit much to expect the Americans to have humour Robert,
                                            > > It's a very new language English.
                                            > > Go easy on them. You'll probably see they're nice folks deep down.
                                            > >
                                            > > As for systems development... Is there a particular control system you
                                            > > would like to see work done on?
                                            > > We could share work on systems development diagrams or blocks of
                                            > > object
                                            > > code etc....

                                          • Robert Copcutt
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 19, 2012
                                              As a first step I was considering something far simpler. Some MPPT
                                              controllers simply change the speed of the generator and watch how the
                                              power changes. If it increases they simply follow that direction until
                                              power starts dropping again. Delays between making the change and
                                              receiving accurate response data can make things difficult so I favour
                                              building in more intelligence. If the controller knows how big the kite
                                              is it can make a fair approximation of what speed should suit what
                                              generator current.

                                              Robert.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 20, 2012
                                                Nice to see another buzzword from the art of wind energy here, after a couple more years of jibber-jabber. I was amazed after the first year or so when someone mentioned "Betz". Now we have stumbled across the term "MPPT". That's two (2) buzzwords from real wind energy in 3 years!

                                                You'd be surprised how bad you can mismatch an MPPT program with a turbine and still get decent results. The amazing thing is if you get it in the ballpark, the turbine will magically adjust and they still work together OK.

                                                I've been a dealer for SMA WindyBOY MPPT inverter, which requires additional band-aid circuitry to protect it from overvoltage, then I found a bigger one made in USA at a Windpower 2011 in L.A., but that company went bust and got bought by a friend of mine Mike Bergey who is keeping them as an in-house component as far as he knows at this point.

                                                I have a new MPPT inverter just in, from a new supplier. It purports to solve all the problems the other (designed for solar) inverters have. Still waiting for some strong winds.

                                                Another "ABC's of wind energy" brand new basic fact for the newbies:
                                                The simplest thing is an induction motor directly connected to the grid, as most windfarms used for decades, and many still do.