Re: [AWES] Re: Are KiteGen Patents Blocking?

  • Robert Copcutt
    Message 1 of 54 , Oct 16, 2012
      Doug,

      My assumption is that everything posted here will stay in the public
      domain for some time to come. I stand by calling flygens losers. They
      will probably fill niche markets but compared to groundgens they have
      too many problems with no solutions apparent so far. Just a few;
      Higher tether costs.
      Higher tether mass.
      Lower safety.
      Greater noise levels.
      Higher generator costs.
      More difficult to launch and land.
      Greater susceptibility to lightning.

      I predict the mainstream will be groundgens with small (tiny) flying
      generators to power things like lights and instrumentation on the kites.

      Robert.

      Message 54 of 54 , Oct 22, 2012
        54 teams without a single wind energy person, no doubt... (you can't make this stuff up!) Well certainly with 54 teams, there can be NO DOUBT that they are on the right track, right? I think any bureaucrat would agree with that! Funding please!...

        Just remember the joke about the drunk looking for his keys under the lamppost. Why is he looking under the lamppost even though he dropped them somewhere else? The light is better there. (punchline)

        Why do people want to make power (force x distance / time) by the pull of a (normally stationary) string? They have flown kites and that pull on the string is what they know. That is the extent of the light of their old, reliable lamppost, and they are stuck under that lamppost because what is beyond the light of the lamppost is unknown. To them.
        :)
        Doug Selsam

        --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, Gaetano Dentamaro <bittertooth@...> wrote:> "[... M.Ippolito:] in the whole world, there are 54 subjects, > Universities, research centers and private firms, who are pursuing, with