Launching groundgen AWES

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2012
      kite taxi
       AWES taxi, kite system taxi, kite taxi.  Take AWES wings to upper airs and then release.
      The taxi aircraft returns to base for next duty.
       In AWES7467  BobS recommends helicopter drones for AWES taxi service.

      Options for launching  groundgen AWES
      1. Stepped towing by ground-based drivers
      2. Towing (moving servant, powered winch,  via mass dropping, via river drogue, people, animals, ships, cars, trucks, boats,  etc.)
      3. Phased pumping or tugging from two or three anchors
      4. AWES taxi
      5. Ambient wind, conventional launch
      6. LTA pilot lifter
      7. Low-wind kite lifter
      8. LTA total AWES
      9. Blowing fan to form artificial wing
      10. Railgun launcher
      11. Drop from powered aircraft or aerostat
      12. Slingshot
      13. Rocket the wing set
      14. Catapult
      15. Toss
      16. Rotating stem
      17. ?
      18. ?
      Target: comprehensive list of launching groundgen AWES methods.
    • mk
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2012
        Air cannon with sabot containing the parafoil up to a specific height where the sabot comes apart releasing the parafoil.
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2012
          Dear MK,

          Air is a good choice for this job (but torsion catapults are not far behind). A sabot is not needed if the soft parafoil pack can make a good air seal. We are not dealing with super-hot gas either.

          Playing out the line without high friction or abrupt jerks is a requirement. Wire guided missiles offer a model for that.

          Perhaps a bit of bungee at the end of the line can pull the packed parafoil backwards from apogee for a standard parafoil opening sequence ending with with the kiteline properly set. We tag such possibly novel ideas as CC IP (or coolIP) for our open-source movement,

          daveS

          PS Are you a new person in AWE? Some introduction would be nice.

          PPS The method that started this thread, the EM Rail-Gun*, is overkill. It would hardly be worth the copper windings, which would sit idle almost all the time (Brooks' Copper Conservation Design Theorem)

          * The development of this tech started in Austin at UTexas. I knew the lab fairly well in the years before the program went secret under military security. We never came up with hot peaceful applications for hypersonic projectiles. This is more a "perpetual war doctrine" tech to match with "military clean energy". Jayent Sirohi's Rotor Lab, where AWES rotors will be tested, is nearby at the same UTexas research park as the early rail-gun work.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 29, 2012

            Step towing is a method that may be used in launching AWES  to get wings into winds that are adequate for continued kiting.
            Has Massimo considered this for KiteGen?