re: Best AWE Altitude is higher than a 500m win d tower  //Re: [AWES] AWES Scoring Matrix Design

  • Pierre BENHAIEM
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2012

      DaveS,

      Global Assessment of High-Altitude Wind Power - Home pages  p.310:"the altitude range between 500 and 2000 m has relative constant wind power densities".Particulary at a longer distance of coast,differences between seafloor and high altitude wind speeds above sea are low,by far lower than on land.It will be easier to build 500 m HAWT on sea as to built AWE 2000 m above land and probably towns,with moving parts (tethers) towing with a force of roughly 100 tonnes (per 2 MW) on all tether length,making it a giant invisible guillotine.The possibility for an HAWT to harness HAWE is an indication for AWE to going towards proved ways if it is yet possible.Else identifying some niches.

      What can give up hope is illusion and no apparent progress,the (interesting) discussions between yourself and Doug being a symptom of what (repetition) produces illusion.

      However it is quite probable searches in AWE will result in new important ways for some industries.But staying without end in the same AWE paradigm (the betterc conversion system is for later but we will win when others would lost) without wanting to see pogress in HAWT is not a sign of progress but a confinement in one sterile monade where all exterior things (HAWT,even some AWE like Makani) out off our circle is wrong.

      In fact searches in AWE are useful both for some branches of aviation (inherent stability, lightness...) and wind energy by searches into new materials and means of control to make possible and with good ROI huge fixed rotors,and of course some branches of kites themselves.I see for kite systems means to improve aviation and wind turbine,then indirectly aviation as improving wind turbine,and vice-versa.

      PierreB

      > Message du 09/10/12 23:51
      > De : "dave santos"
      > A : "AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com"
      > Copie à :
      > Objet : Best AWE Altitude is higher than a 500m wind tower  //Re: [AWES] AWES Scoring Matrix Design

      Pierre,

      The facts are on our side.

      Its going to cost a lot for 500m wind towers and they are still too short for the best wind. Christina Archer, based on decades of global wind data, predicts the best AWE winds to be about 1000-2000m. Anyone can clearly see this "wind maxima" zone in the data plots. Add more string to get there, and in principle beat any tower.

      Never give up hope,

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2012
        PierrB,

        Thanks for looking up Cristina's exact quote.

        Consider that for wind in "the altitude range between 500 and 2000 m", that AWE can potentially harvest this entire ~1500m thick accelerated layer, while 500m towers only scrape the bottom.

        In AWE, we should perhaps call this common LLJ wind maxima zone the "German-Archer Jet" :)