Mine the hurricanes with WOW

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2012
      •        WOW        Wall of Wind.   Project start at FIU in 2005, but continues ...

        With reversible physics,
        consider mining a hurricane's energy with WOW set as wind-energy collectors.
        Even consider flying WOW.

        Though the frequency of hurricane winds is seemingly too infrequent for practical energy mining, one might consider harvesting energy from hurricanes and storing the energy for use during the remaining of the year. Instead of flooding areas, considering putting the energy to work to fill a huge high lake.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2012
        Joe,

        The KiteLab study-concept of a Wall-of-Small-HAWTs is to go after common high-wind high up, not to tap rare storms.  Tapping hurricanes is like tapping lightning- The event is far too rare and too powerfully chaotic to be plausibly economic. On average one would wait many years before being simply knocked out by the sudden excess power.*

        The Wall-of-Wind (WoW) turbine array project relates to our recent question of whether a wall-of-small-turbines is a valid scaling basis for an AWES. This "Wall-of-Wind" is an instructive model, based on the general reversibility of energy transducing physics,

        daveS

        PS An upcoming topic is to discuss "Down Selecting"**, the engineering management requirement to pare down the long list of AWES ideas to only the most essential. A huge fog of brainstormed ideas now hide golden core principles that will endure. Its nearing the time to correctly choose, or lose.

        * Its maybe more sensible to imagine someday steering hurricanes to avoid direct hits on populations, using simple megascale sea-anchored wind dams as subtle control inputs.

        ** A military-procurement concept term Makani recently introduced, probably from landing its US Army contract. In Makani's case, its 2009 high-complexity AWES Down Selection pick probably was fatally premature.
      • Robert Copcutt
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2012
          On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 13:04 -0700, dave santos wrote:

          > PS An upcoming topic is to discuss "Down Selecting"**, the engineering
          > management requirement to pare down the long list of AWES ideas to
          > only the most essential. A huge fog of brainstormed ideas now hide
          > golden core principles that will endure. Its nearing the time to
          > correctly choose, or lose.

          At last!

          My news is that Visventis has moved from Reworks to Makespace. It is
          looking like it will be a more useful and helpful venue so I am
          cautiously optimistic that progress will accelerate. Arranging the move
          consumed huge amounts of my time and there is still much work to be done
          preparing the new space.

          Robert.