HQ Hydra Valved Parafoil //Re: [AWES] Re: Third-Party Validation of Self Launching of Kite Arches

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
      Rod,

      The HQ Hydra is a sweet trainer kite, which i test-flew at WSIKF2011. Peter Lynn first offered valved closed cell tractin wings, which TUDelft has used. Brian Germain is another valved parafoil expert, with AWE applications on his radar.

      We may soon find that valved ram-airbeams best stabilize megascale mostly singleskin kites. A passive pressure-boosting (pumping) valve would be cool.

      Of course the Hydra is not intended as SELF-launching, but requires active close piloting. By contrast, the Ohashi-Arch shown in the video is landing and relaunching *autonomously* in a fairly robust manner, what we call "passive control" or "inherent (cycling) stability", in the Low Complexity AWES school,