Third-Party Validation of Self Launching of Kite Arches

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2012
      AWES schemes need third-party validation of engineering claims. A central KiteLab Group claim is that many classic kite types reliably self-launch and self-land passively, and this capability is a practical basis for early loosely supervised autonomy of small systems.

      This video constitutes third-party validation of kite arch self-launch and land cycling-

      KITE Arch Kite SELF LAUNCHING.MOV - YouTube

      www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzT897OXtbk

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
        The HQ Hydra  also has interesting relaunch characteristics borne from a neat construction method.

        A permeable leading edge acts like a standard ram air kite, until it feeds air into cells which close when inflated.

        The same construction idea could surely be used / modified to suit other rigid inflatable components as required.

        http://www.powerkites.de/index.php?option=com_video&view=video&video_id=16&Itemid=129

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2012
          Rod,

          The HQ Hydra is a sweet trainer kite, which i test-flew at WSIKF2011. Peter Lynn first offered valved closed cell tractin wings, which TUDelft has used. Brian Germain is another valved parafoil expert, with AWE applications on his radar.

          We may soon find that valved ram-airbeams best stabilize megascale mostly singleskin kites. A passive pressure-boosting (pumping) valve would be cool.

          Of course the Hydra is not intended as SELF-launching, but requires active close piloting. By contrast, the Ohashi-Arch shown in the video is landing and relaunching *autonomously* in a fairly robust manner, what we call "passive control" or "inherent (cycling) stability", in the Low Complexity AWES school,