Open AWE's Anthem? "Kite Song" was inspired by Austin Kite Fest: "made of joy"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2012
      Countdown to Mothra1 Maiden Flight continues.

      Posting a little kite note to fill the wait-

      For some of us "Kite Song", by the major folk music star, Patty Griffith, is the AWE Anthem. Its KiteLab Austin's shared spirit, they spring from the same roots, a small Central Texas counter-culture based in Austin. Patty will be taking a continued role in AWE (via common friends).

      Some years ago, Patty introduced "Kite Song" like this:

      "You may have noticed these beautiful kites we have hanging from the stage here, and we're kind of doing a kite thing, and I'll tell you how that all came about.  This next song, called Kite Song, was inspired by a friend of mine, walking on the lake in Austin.  There's a place called Town Lake in Austin, TX, where we both live, and we happened upon a huge kite festival (Zilker Kite Fest, oldest in US) - this was just a few days before the United States invaded Iraq - there was a lot of anxiety in the air and lots of worries and she looked up and said, 'Wouldn't it be great if we all had kites that we were flying instead of bombs we're dropping or guns we're shooting?'  And I thought, 'well, you know, that's such a great idea.'  It's one of those ideas that nobody ever thinks could work, and that's why it never works, but I think we should give it a shot.  It turns out we're not the only ones thinking this way.  Rick Taylor, the stage manager, was
      looking at kites on the web and found out that there's different movements about flying kites for peace all over the world (One Sky).  So, we're not the first people to think about this.  That's cool."

      "Kite Song"

      The Sunday after there was laughter in the air
      Everybody had a kite
      They were flying everywhere
      And all the trouble went away
      And it wasn't just a dream
      All the trouble went away
      And it wasn't just a dream

      In the middle of the night
      We try and try with all our mights
      To light a little light down here
      In the middle of the night
      We dream of a million kites
      Flying high above
      The sadness and the fear

      Little sister just remember
      As you wander through the blue
      The little kite that you sent flying
      On a sunny afternoon
      Made of something light as nothing
      Made of joy that matters too
      How the little dreams we dream
      Are all we can really do

      In the middle of the night
      The world turns with all of it's might
      A little diamond colored blue
      In the middle of the night

      We keep sending little kites
      Until a little light gets through

      Some find Patty's original version schmaltzy, but she is a magical songster.
      For those critics, there will be many less sweet harder versions by cover artists-

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 19, 2012
        Kite Song by Patty Griffin    Video