Lightest Flooring for Airborne Architecture (Flying Plaza Note)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2012
      One of many mature technology transfers from commercial fishing to AWE is this product rated for human "flooring". For Airborne Architecture use, multiple back-ups would be standard (multiple nets, personal safety-line, reserve chute, etc.).

      Note the scaling options of X-braided netting, up to 10m centers, making this class of material infill ideal for megascale loadpath nets, especially as a ripstop option. One could use this COTS material to back up a stock soccer-field tarp for an "instant" >8000m2 sail (playsail kite or array sail). Infill the 10M2 X-netting with the catamaran braid and a rather large tilted "outdoor plaza" results on top of the kite wing. Multiple "indoor" stories can hang below-

      Catamaran Netting | NET Systems, Inc. | Predator X | Trawl Nets ...

      www.net-sys.com/catamaran-netting.php
      Catamaran Netting. Ultra Cross (UCSilver Knotless Dyneema® NettingMultihull TrampolineNET Systems manufactures knotless Dyneema® nettingideal forCatamaran and Trimaran multihull trampoline nettingUC Silver netting provides excellent performancehigh strengthlow weight trampoline net for ultimate use.

      Ultra Cross Knotless Netting | NET Systems, Inc. | Predator X | Trawl ...

      www.net-sys.com/ultra-cross.php
      ULTRA CROSS Netting is a highly advanced 4 strandbraidedcontinuous monofilamentknotless netting used for heavy duty commercial fishing applications. With our manufacturing processUltra Cross Netting delivers superior strength and performance over conventional netting maximizing the useof Dyneema®, High ...

    • dbmurr@ymail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2012
        Dave,
        Firstly, your sketchbooks are very impressive.

        What you describe below may also work on Rod's ring kites. It seems predictably strong, lightweight things are the basis for many of the game changing ideas.

        Flying Plaza looks great! I found 2 links that are somewhat related to Rod's work and Tomas Saraceno's Flying Plaza. The 1st is about early NASA project history - http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4308/ch9.htm , and the 2nd is MATSYS - http://matsysdesign.com/2009/page/2/ , Andrew Kudless' amazing site. Unlike the early NASA protocol for photographic documentation, there is dancing in Andrew's work. The color photos help too.
        db murray