Update from Austin (Soft Rivet Technology (TM))

    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2012
      The latest news here is that the giant tarp arch wing is being built. Its a bit slow-going only due to design optimizations; follow-on builds can go really fast.

      The hay farm has been scouted and the anchor pattern laid. Its really ideal, a nice crop of soft grass with a very exposed position to the prevailing winds.The soil is a cementatious gumbo. The romping spring wind pattern has mostly held, but the summer doldrums loom, so we are targeting an intermediate breeze sometime next week for the maiden flight of "Shiva-1".

      The major chore in building a giant tarp kite is the hundreds of soft shackles made of small bits of line. These are like protein structures in biology. The simplest and most numerous "molecule" is a simple loop closed in a stopper-knot. A single overhand loop suffices to make a locking knot, with the heat sealed ends mushroomed into a stopper flange. One can larks-head these together in endless combinations, but in the present case they are used to interface the tarp grommets to rope load-path prusiks.

      The coolIP TM is to call these "Soft Rivets"*, as they perform the same function as rivets in conventional aircraft construction. Utill, LLC., will market these in quantity orders for those who wish to build these giant wings fast.

      *Unless some naming conflict exists.
    • blturner3
      Message 2 of 2 , May 26, 2012
        Glad to hear it's going well for you. I am also happy to see your developing in an area comparable to where I would like to see AWE take off, the upper midwest.

        Brian