Re: Piezoelectric material and kites

    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2012
      piezoelectric nanogenerator    http://fand.kaist.ac.kr/Attach/NCG.pdf

      Flexible Nanocomposite Generator Made of BaTiO 3
      Nanoparticles and Graphitic Carbons

          Kwi-Il   Park  ,     Minbaek   Lee  ,     Ying   Liu  ,     San   Moon  ,     Geon-Tae   Hwang  ,     Guang   Zhu  ,
          Ji Eun   Kim  ,     Sang Ouk   Kim  ,     Do Kyung   Kim  ,     Zhong Lin   Wang  ,     and  Keon Jae   Lee   *

      Where in AWES will such find homes?

        Message 3 of 12 , May 22, 2012
          AWES homes?
          Brainstorming:
          • Flex of wing coverings
          • Flex of lines in the reeling process and phases
          • Clothing of AWES workers
          • Flutter sensors
          • Flagging AWES with the flexing
          • Flutter AWES where the system thrives on chaotic wakes
          • ?
          • ?
          Message 4 of 12 , May 22, 2012
            Message 5 of 12 , May 22, 2012
              It might be a good flutter sensor, although a microphone would probably be sufficient.  If it is dirt cheap and feather-light, it might generate useful power by fluttering, but then we are back to the conductive tether debate.

              Bob Stuart
              On 22-May-12, at 11:35 AM, Joe Faust wrote:

              AWES homes?

              Brainstorming:
              • Flex of wing coverings
              • Flex of lines in the reeling process and phases
              • Clothing of AWES workers
              • Flutter sensors
              • Flagging AWES with the flexing
              • Flutter AWES where the system thrives on chaotic wakes
              • ?
              • ?

            • Muzhichkov
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 13, 2013
                I'm off all that is written about the piezo, but I still come to the conclusion that they have a great chance.
                A breakthrough in the industry often been driven by the advent of new materials. I think that airbornes are not an exception. I assume that there will be a net material, which is partly to allow air through itself, will generate electricity. Transmission of electricity to the ground is likely to be a single wire as the waveguide. The last decades of the entire scientific and industrial revolution happening in microcosm. May be we have to focus on these technologies? Dreaming of a small'll never get a great result.

                Alex
              • Muzhichkov
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2013
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 13, 2013
                    Alex,

                    When we last looked at piezo, the challenge seemed to be how to maximally drive the bimorphs at very high frequencies in ordinary wind, for maximum power-to-weight and lowest installed-unit-energy cost. Piezo may be promising in very high wind, like the tropopause jet streams. Modern thin-film manufacturing can solve the array "intricacy" problem, but it willlikely take a big investment to finally get to cheap power.

                    A single wire as a wave guide is also a good idea to fully explore. Coronal discharge will be the limiting factor, and the high-frequency power electronics available are still rather heavy.

                    Sadly, piezo and microwave frequencies are far apart, so a cheap lightweight transformer stage is needed,

                    daveS

                  • Muzhichkov
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 20, 2013
                      "As fossil energy resources deplete, wind energy gains ever more importance. Recently, piezoelectric energy harvesting
                      methods are emerging with the advancements in piezoelectric materials and its storage elements. Piezoelectric materials can
                      be utilized to convert kinetic energy to electrical energy. Utilization of piezoelectric wind harvesting is a rather new means
                      to convert renewable wind energy to electricity. Piezoelectric generators are typically low cost and easy to maintain. This
                      work illustrates an overview of piezoelectric wind harvesting technology"

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 21, 2013
                        MFC  ::  Macro Fiber Composite

                        http://tinyurl.com/MFCimages

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 21, 2013
                          I had to read all 10 pages to get to the punchline at the end:

                          "the efficiencies are not sufficient the meet to requirements of minimum energy for devices, the desired electricity could be obtained with the advancements of piezoelectric materials and the storage elements."

                          Translation "current piezoelectric transducers are not efficient".
                          Translation to common parlance: "piezoelectric stuff sucks"

                          I would add that the methods cited to actuate the piezo elements resemble typical known missteps in wind energy, such as converting rotation (good) to reversing cycles (bad). That is a step backwards.

                          I have to say I never heard of soft piezoelectric elements which is interesting and possibly more promising than the hard ones since they allow more motion(?).