Re: [AWES] Re: Yo-Yo Method terms for reel-in phase?

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
      Brian,

      "Reel-in phase" does not apply to all the short-stroke pumping designs that "recover" or "reset" by an elastic recovery of a spring and/or lever, and the like, without reeling. There is "reel" confusion as to what a "yo-yo method" is. In the past it has been applied very loosely, sometimes to opposed alternating kites, sometimes almost like a trademark. If what is meant is only "reel" systems, as Dave Lang defined them in 2004, then "reel-in phase" specifically applies, but there is still potential for confusion with all systems that just use reels for launching and landing, but not for a direct power cycle. Phases called, "retract", "reset", "recovery" and so on, are clearly more universal.

      I have reconsidered the "tow" usage issue, and now think "winch-tow" is a proper useful descriptor, as long as no confusion is created by just saying "tow launch", which tends to imply a moving tow vehicle. "Winch launch" is very clear, and "step-tow" is a special case of usually pure winch launch, although a tow vehicle could be used.

      We are slowly "writing the book" on proper precise AWE nomenclature. Sorry to all those who despair over such fussiness, but the end result will be great engineering expressiveness with a few choice words,

      daveS

    • blturner3
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2012
        Yes, I was specifically thinking of systems were the power generation is due to the reeling action. It would not apply well to short-stroke or elastic systems.

        Retract seems a good choice for many system concepts. I think that "reset" and "recovery" are a bit too broad for most systems, and their popular usage is often in reseting or recovering from a fault condition. I don't think I have ever heard reset used for a system with just 2 states. I looked up the definition and it mentions returning to zero for most usages.

        An elastic system would be equivalent to a "return" spring.

        Brian

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
          charge discharge, unwind rewind, load unload, lift drop, press release,
          I guess until the set "yoyo devices" is defined we won't have a correct description for the machine specific complementary action involved.