Vertical Shunting Arches- A New AWES Architecture

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 27 11:42 AM
      Kite shunting is a cyclic reversal of flight direction, with leading-edge and trailing-edge alternating. Four-line kites shunt, but most do it poorly. JoeH's Rev kites are good shunters. AWE shunters are a general category of wingmill. KiteLab Ilwaco has shown by small experiments that horizontal shunting by a suspended wing is a workable mode.

      Vertical shunting, with a One Stick Diamond Kite set as a Kite Arch, is now also shown to be an effective AWES mode, with advantages in stability and control. Besides potentially driving ground-based electrical generators, this general method has high promise for high-speed, precision, and heavy-lifting applications.

      This particular discovery came about by accident; i accidentally flipped an arch-rigged "billowing set" one stick diamond kite, and it took on a reflex shape and parked totally stable at its zenith without a tail. I then put a sheet line on it and was able to whiz up and down powerfully. It seems more than ever that staking kites out crosswind is a key to large scale power.
      JoeF will link us the videos and collect the new kite arch variations on one link page. They are closely related even if they look different. One image shows a recycled arch made from seven random diamond kites, but with seven sticks eliminated. 2KiteSam fitted grommets to the empty corners to rig a drawline furling arch. The furling worked, but excess friction was evident and a new frictionless furling rig is pending. Other upcoming demos will integrate multiple shunting kites and arches in variations, with large tarp arches making a special debut.

      coolIP

      (Joe, use any text above with the visual content as suited)
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 27 2:46 PM
        Images and video are yet to be launched.
        URL leads and direct images are invited for configurations and tests.
        Development will launch from this thread and also the following file:
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 27 4:46 PM
          Two video links and recycled kite arch and other links are up flying now

          Some new notes are on the page also.

          JoeF

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 28 1:31 PM
            Consider:  arch of trains ::  Consider a system that has two anchors spread far left and right of the power window; the arch is maintained by a series of elements where each element is not just one wing, but a train of kite wings; the whole is a series of trains that lift an arch.  Those trains might be stable lifters for some niche uses.   Also, those train elements that form an arch might be vertically-shunting trains for some niche uses.     JoeF    28Mar2012
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 29 7:31 AM
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 29 7:59 AM
                Gosh, it is even pretty.  Take that, Cape Cod!
                The Eiffel Tower was originally built as a viewing platform for a world's fair, and to get a building permit, Mr. Eiffel had to promise to tear his iron monstrosity down the next year.  Taste changes.

                Bob Stuart

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 29 11:25 AM
                  Well I hope for God sake that we can finally catch a fish with this new breakthrough!
                  :)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 29 12:12 PM
                    Indeed, Doug,
                    Using an arch of kite trains as a megaKite for hanging a walkway, one may see such inviting hundreds of recreational fishing persons enjoying dropline fishing at sea or over rivers or lakes.   Charge for the special positioning and adventure.  From the same lifted walkway, recreational bungee jumping may operate. At the higher part of the arch, there will be base jumping skydivers.  Some hang gliders will launch from the lifter archway.  The tensioned pulsations of the main arch tether may pump water to gain waterhead for later energy production.   Sell advertising space on the kite-element covers. Sell buttons and tee-shirts: "I played on arch of kite trains!"  When people are not so using the system, pulse the train elements and do serious energy production with the vertical-shunting arches.   More works could come from the megaKite arch of trains or the shunting kite arch.   Simple recreation viewing and photography come to mind.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 30 12:19 PM
                      Notes-

                      -Joe's idea of combining kite arches and trains is a stepping-stone to setting the trains between a lower arch and upper arch. This upper kite arch adds tremendous lift while also stabilizing close-set trains from interfering.

                      -Of course Kites are a well known means to catch fish; one hardly needs a Vertical Shunting Kite Arch to do it. In fact some experts, like Peter Lynn Sr., think stone age kite fishing was the original purpose of the kite. South Sea Islanders use leaf kites to this day for fishing.

                      -The Vertical Shunting Arch inscribes a catenoid minimal-surface in the sky. We know to pay special attention to the magic that emerges when mathematical perfection is approximated in the real world. Catenoids may prove to be the optimal wind harvesting geometry, using the least material for maximal output.

                      I am drafting a detailed theory of operation for kite arches, extending Loyd's crosswind power concept and connecting with Culp's "staked-out" stability principle.

                      Correction- KiteLab Austin flew a small COTS HAWT, COTS toy kite demonstrator in 2011, not 2010, but it seems like long ago...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 30 5:57 PM
                        Yes, and thus a shunting sky net (SSN)!
                      • Joe Faust
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 30 6:13 PM
                          ... SSN is an layer element of a 3D thick shunting sky matrix (SSM).