MegaScale Kite-Arch GeoEngineering Methods

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2012
      Kite Arches set crosswind are an incredibly powerful technology, comparable to the power of a fishing net v. a single line and hook. Experience with them suggests that it will be practical to raise arches cross-country into Jet Streams. But rather than seeking to extract the energy, kite arches could be designed for turbulation, to create wide swaths of con-trail for global cooling.

      Commercial jet condensation-trails are created in supercooled moist air near the dew-point. When conditions are right the trails persist for hours and even grow. They are highly conspicuous and calculated to have a considerable impact on climate. In general, a daytime con-trail mostly reflects sunlight back into space, and a nightime contrail reflects infra-red from the warm earth back down. Thus a daytime con-trail tends to cool the planet, and a nightime trail tends to warm it. If we need to cool the planet, somehow creating daytime con-trails might be a good way, especially compared to existing schemes.

      Kite Arches have such a powerful potential its not too hard to imagine steering weather systems with them. The idea is not to push the weather around by main force, but to add "servo" inputs that steer air masses by gentle "jujitsu" deflection. Thus a hurricane might be tipped away from a catastrophic path into open ocean. Jet Streams themselves could be steered about to manipulate climate, to mitigate drought and flood, to limit heat transfer to the poles.

      Lets hope we are not forced into desperate geoengineering adventures, but if we are, we have a new tool like no other.