What's-Up with AWE Ventures? (Forecast and Business 101)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2012

      A vast energy resource dangles just overhead, but we see the AWE industry struggling; so what's going on?

      We are in the correction phase of the first AWE speculative bubble, as the grandiose marketing claims made by unqualified ventures failed to materialize.  They failed to prepare enough at technical conception, figuring fast-money would buy easy success. Most are still around, as hollow shells making noise, addicted to a high burn-rate, but fatally unable to deliver. Difficulty attracting attention and investment to far more cautious and qualified AWE teams is only temporary. A larger powerful circle of informed investment observers is emerging. Several "low-complexity" concepts are at TRL 7 and 8, even ready for TRL 9, this year or next, ideally positioned as this early-AWE Investment Winter eases.

      The business-wisdom proverb that best applies to current AWE dev is "stick to your knitting", meaning "stick to what you know"; in our case- "know about kites (as both energy and aviation) " and stick to it. So hang on tight, don't spend a penny, except on small-scale direct AWES R&D. Design and test-fly relentlessly, or lose. Every moment actually flying a kite adds essential core competence; every tiny experiment is a needed step forward. The next AWE boom will be based on net-enabled global cooperation, on "crowd-sourced" AWE. Bet on the UpperWind to still be there, waiting for us.