About Kitemotor (to Dave Santos)

  • Muzhichkov
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2012
      Hi Dave! I've just found your article on http://www.main.org/polycosmos/biosquat/kitemoto.htm and was amzed! You experiences for a long time with reciprocating rope energy transfer with fliping flying systems. As you understand, I'm also a big adherent of such idea. Do you still develop KiteMotor projects? What is the current achievement? As for me, I'm sure, that this way is the only one that has chance in the HAWE-Systems.
      You write alot about aeroelastic-flutter. I have some doubt about using of elastic materials in kite turbine because it can quicly become worthless. Aso such kind of materials losses elasticity by low temperature. And has different deformation with dufferent wind speed. Of cause, weight of such frequence producer is dramatically small.
      I'm thinking now to use Darrieus wind turbine to generate impulses. May be with one blade...
      Have you thought about line generator?

      Alex
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2012
        Alex,

        It seems so long ago, things are moving so fast. Yes, i went on to make many more "kitemotors", and still make them, ever better, as experience has grown. I am content to highly refine the designs, until the major funding appears needed to scale large. In fact scaling-up too fast and early is a trap that limits essential agile exploration.

        You mention the elastic-return phase needed for pumping, and how this is hard for ordinary rubber in your cold weather. Two simple solutions are to use a steel spring, or suspended mass. Yes, elastic return has a small loss, but this can be kept very low (~5%). Elastic return is better than twin systems with alternated pulling, because it is simpler and cheaper, with less potential for failure.

        Basic Kite Energy has turned out to be very simple. Its not hard to get certain kinds of kites to naturally pulse hard on a line and to convert those pulses into rotary motion to drive a generator. Some folks are going to be very upset when they see just how simple and powerful AWE can be,

        daveS

      • Dan Parker
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2012
          Dave Santos, wrote

                         "is a trap that limits essential agile exploration."  Very nice, there always is a bright side. I agree in the simplicity factor all the weigh.

                                                                                                                                                                            Dan'l

          To: AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2012
            Slightly off topic .  .  .  . be interesting for a high elevation kite to tow a glider or a small ground-effect craft.

            Harry

            To: AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 16, 2012
              --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, dave santos <santos137@...> wrote: Some folks are going to be very upset when they see just how simple and powerful AWE can be, > daveS����