Re: Climbing Kites in Calm CKC

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2012
      Continuing, some notes and opportunities on giving potential energy to wings aloft for launching and continuing flight during wind changes, lulls, or underpowering:

      1. In our forum links sections, there is now a folder ready to receive anyone's related links:
      Folder Launch by step towing
      Put potential energy into wings by using step towing or phased tugging combined with smart glide control during non-powered tug phases. Two methods: 1. Fixed-position winch. 2. Moving winch. And add bi-directional phase towing.

      2. The hang glider pilot may be replaced with a smart servo receiving commands from ground base.

      3. See the bi-directional stepping article linked in the folder.

      4. The Faust described bi-directional in our group messages and the Santos tri-tether phased tug flying are related matters.

      As anyone make contributions in such launching or/and lull handling flight maintenance with AWES intent, please add links to the folder and share tech and experience and safety-critical matter in forum.  Thanks!

      PS: The question comes up on how these matters might be treated in TACO.

      JoeF
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
        An advanced example of phased tugging:

        Amazing Glide kite

           ]
        Recent note:
        Small circle operations for phased tugging kite-gliding in calms outdoors or indoors:

        Compete for amount-of tether-out from zero-length-out starts within the small circle of operations; never leave the circle.
        Sorts of evolving efforts:
        1. Without RC.
        2. With RC.
        3. Speed of getting maximum tether out.
        4. Human operated.
        5. Robot operated.
        6. Transition to energy production after maximum tether out using small-circle launch operations in calm wind.

        Wing and system designs to best fit phased tugging?

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2013
          "Windless Kites" has replaced "Indoor Kites" as the preferred usage (in conversation with John Barresi). JoeF discovered this subject via step-towed gliders, and the fusion of the two cultures is happening on the Forum.

          The modern art-sport of Windless Kites is growing rapidly. Brooks can confirm that in Austin, at school assemblies and raves starting in the late 80s, we flew advanced flying wings as kiteplanes on tethers from bamboo poles. It would be nice if anyone can document older instances of Windless Kites. Now there are Windless Kite Festivals popping up everywhere.

          何辅钢 is a fine windless kiteplane pilot, and his deft use of a sort of fighter-style reel seems original to him. Lets hope we soon learn more about his story.

          KiteLab Ilwaco View- With regard to AWE, we found the Windless Kite principle to be the same as step-towed human gliders. Its a TRL-9 kite model fully validated as a launching, sustained flight, and landing method for small AWES. It will be a challenge to automate flight to the skill level of human masters.

        • joe_f_90032
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 10, 2013

            For ages phased tugging of kite systems have increased the total energy of the kite system to maintain the wings into flight when wind becomes insufficient for flight.  We have had various terms for  the input process, the increase of kinetic and potential energy caused by phased tugging or reverse pumping.   At conference a research is using these terms:

            reverse pumping of kite systems

            kinetic-charge phase

            potential transfer phase

            kite-system total energy