Re: [AWES] Comparison between kite and paraglider regarding ratios L/D

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2012
      Brian,

      Sorry for the ambiguity. With kites we often discuss the kite angle (angle-of-repose) as it correlates with L/D (much as glider pilots use glide-slope). A 45 degree angle-of-repose (or glide-slope) thereby indicates an L/D of 1 (1 unit vertical by 1 unit horizontal). There are a few extraneous minor factors (like line sag and wind gradient) that influence this simple view.

      Re: Apparent Wind- With high performance sweeping kites in efficient flight the normal apparent wind is just a few degrees, and 45 degrees is a deeply stalled condition. Even this extreme stalled flight attitude could be a design max lift state, if the aircraft has enough power to spare to overcome the equivalent drag. Often kites have plenty of extra power available by a great wind, to tolerate high drag to get max lift, operating long hours naturally highly stalled while avoiding the excessive fuel bill a fueled aircraft would incur.