Cannons, guns, missiles, and rockets in AWESs

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2012
      Cannons, guns, missiles, and rockets in AWESs?
      Launching?
      Downing?
      Modifying?
      Packet placement?
      Notice that the cannons, guns, or rockets may be ground-based, sea-craft-based, aircraft-based, or AWES based.
      ====================

      This topic thread may be a place for sharing notes on the use, design, appraisal, etc. of cannons, guns, and rockets in AWESs.  Links, drawings, charts, specifications, plans, experiences, photographs, safety-critical knowledge, etc.

      Starts in some prior posts have been made.
      Those notes may be refreshed and forwarded within this thread.

      Brief recall of prior short notes posted:
      * Launch AWES from within forest floor into ambient upper winds. (please refresh and forward)
      * Rod Read's kite-rocket line grabber.  (please expand)
      * Russian AWES launcher experiment. (please refresh)\
      * Vandalism by gun was mentioned (please expand; e.g., vulnerability of AWES types to vandalism by gun)

      What have we?
      What has been instructed in the literature?
      What could be?
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2012

        Flowing:

        Cannons, guns, missiles, and rockets in AWESs

        • Laser gun using energy gained in the AWES for  sending energy to targets for various reasons.
        • Microwave gun using energy gained in the AWES to targets for various reasons.
        • Light gun using energy gained in the AWES to targets for various reasons or for illuminating itself or other objects for practical purposes.
        • Radio-signal guns on AWES giving information about the AWES or other data.
        • Radar operations from the AWES
        • Radar operations on ground for AWES farms.
        • Shoot lines from one AWES unit to another AWES unit for various reasons: construction of aloft complexes, construction of cableways, aloft line replacement, etc.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2012
          Netherlands.      Jan Westerink.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2012
            Expansion on the use of rockets to grab kites...
            Joe,  I tend to be inspired by toys, My rocket is much less military than my brother flies.

            I have intended a ground based piece of safety equipment...

            Inspired by

            By firing a rocket recovery line across wind through spinning kite sets.

            If the strong tail end of the line is anchored to the ground; aiming a rocket to fire the bolas on the lightweight line end into a runaway or otherwise unstoppable spinning kite set, would allow the anchor line to entangle the kite set. If the kites were to keep spinning they would bring themselves down to the anchor.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2012
              I was just thinking about soda-bottle rockets using compressed air and water, and wondering how much higher you could get using the same air bottle running a helicopter.  However, even an inefficient rocket might be a good way to loft automatically launch a pilot kite.  Presumably, a simple rig could reel in the bottle and re-charge it automatically.

              Bob Stuart
              Sent from The Country Formerly Known as Nice.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2012
                Making a spud canon is an essential part of later childhood
                You can get all of the components from the plumbing shop and the supermarket.

                apart from being able to lasso a kite set, It may be useful to remotely destroy kites.

                Carrying self destruct systems with knives, detonators or other devices onboard gives instability, accidental activation and escape problems. therefore shooting a kite from the sky with SAM's or Rapier http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapier_(missile)
                may become useful...

                However I think a friendlier (more easily approved) approach may be
                a Scare crow or even better and it's a must see

                --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Faust" <joefaust333@...> wrote:

                > Netherlands. Jan Westerink. Video:
                > Historical Rocket Kite Launch
                > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxxbMfYY9Bw>

              • mk
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2012
                  What about a compressed air cannon to launch a power kite? Foam sabot that has a trigger to open it when working altitude is reached? Could allow launching in more confined spots and a flying recovery.

                  MK

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 7, 2012
                    In many instance AWES would benefit from being lift assisted with lighter than air, extremely flammable hydrogen.

                    A very rapid flame explosion of my doughnut / any inflated torus / an aerostat ,
                    That could be a very useful feature in terms of rapid self destruction of airborne capability.

                    A radio controlled piezo or transformer spark inside an envelope filled with correctly mixed hydrogen and air for lift....

                    Long chain tethering structure still remains intact if you burst a stack of doughnuts.

                    Bursting the doughnuts would render the system of attached kites  horrendously unstable and draggy, the chain would rapidly descend.

                    A control signal to a high end lifting kite informing it that emergency descent mode is in operation.

                    Some ideas to ponder.
                  • Theo Schmidt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
                      mk wrote on 4.1.2012:
                      > What about a compressed air cannon to launch a power kite? Foam sabot that
                      > has a trigger to open it when working altitude is reached? Could allow
                      > launching in more confined spots and a flying recovery.

                      There was one of these on the BP kite traction research boat "Assessor" last
                      owned by the late Air Commodore C T Nace in Cowes. Any info on its use would be
                      available from Roger Duckworth, former kite researcher for BP.

                      Theo Schmidt
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 29, 2012
                        Another useful explosive might be,
                        using remotely activated airbag style inflation for structures to be inflated at altitude.