Re: Questions to PierreB? //

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 19, 2011
      Since we are best advised to deal only in tension structures...
      Furling may be best achieved by tension difference control, ...
      decreasing the gap of the C shape of inflated ram air parafoils, kites or paragliders.

      In the case of my spinning kite set; Having a more elastic tether on the outer tethers of the kites set on the ring.

      As wind increases, the extra stretch on the outer lines makes the outer extent of the kite tip fold back and central to the axis of rotation.

      A similarly more elastic back than front line promotes automatic sheeting out.

      So as the wind increases the amount of sail presented to the wind decreases and the angle of attack lessens.

      A self limiting power set-up is really quite simple and elegant.

      Now if you want to totally kill and bring down the stack... Force the generator which normally points downwind at the stack to rotate off the wind. This will make the rotating kites snake and whip around, jerk, skew, slow their rotation and crash... probably.. I'm willing to try it.

      And if you think that's ridiculous...
      You should see the design I have for one of those funny wave power clams using underwater kites.

      roddyIP

      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 21, 2011
        thanks for the feedback Doug.
        I'm using "beginner" kites. Because the chord length is so long, I'm hoping for beginners luck and intuition in finding their top speed and balancing that with the right amount and length of bungee to give at the right time. It will be a total fluke and it's a ballance between the centripetal acceleration of the air inside the wing cells ballanced against the relative drag rearward as it starts to oversspeed.
        I'm probably being foolish not looking for the fastest kites. I'm hoping, against all advice from solid systems to develop a usefull high torque, many vane more like a let turbine model.
        I tested new needles in my sewing machine today. Cutting old sails soon. It's got to be worth a go.

        -