Re: [AWES] Re: What is possible with kites

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 17, 2011
      Robert,

      Yes, your definition of AWE is far narrower that what this list has always stood for. SkySails pulls ships (transport) with kites to displace diesel fuel and Jets save diesel fuel with wind energy. Skysails intends to use the same general kite configuration to generate electricity.

      It was Joe who taught us to expand our definitions, to see the tether as an energetic equivalent to an aircraft engine, in a pure Newtonian sense. After all, the transport aircraft evolved from the kite.

      I am still unaware of what specific scientific errors you refer to!

      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 21, 2011
        thanks for the feedback Doug.
        I'm using "beginner" kites. Because the chord length is so long, I'm hoping for beginners luck and intuition in finding their top speed and balancing that with the right amount and length of bungee to give at the right time. It will be a total fluke and it's a ballance between the centripetal acceleration of the air inside the wing cells ballanced against the relative drag rearward as it starts to oversspeed.
        I'm probably being foolish not looking for the fastest kites. I'm hoping, against all advice from solid systems to develop a usefull high torque, many vane more like a let turbine model.
        I tested new needles in my sewing machine today. Cutting old sails soon. It's got to be worth a go.

        -