Re: [AirborneWindEnergy] Re: Conductive Tether Blues

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2009
      JoeF,

      Re: small tower solution, i was speaking for gentiles who are not "tako kichi" (kite crazy). Flying kites from towers is a good compromise, no?

      Here is a fix for sudden conductive tether sag-

      Neat Volcano Application

      A tall volcanic cone with a top crater is ideal terrain for anchoring large scale AWE. Simply bore anchors thru the thin crater wall & bring the cables together in the center. An AWE array can launch & land suspended from this center. Several great volcanoes reach to around 15000 ft not far from large populations, For example, Popocatepetl volcano could serve as a high altitude base to tap the subtropic jet stream within sight of Mexico City.

       Whoops. last post failed to mention problem of high conductive losses of long flygen tethers.