How taking account of occupied aerial space?

  • Pierre Benhaiem
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011

      A distinction between a kite-farm or an array of kite,and a single unity is necessary.

      Kite-farm:the aerial space should be forbidden for the complete (rather a shape of parallelepiped allowing the planes to continue their road without detour) volume aera according to all wind directions and the length of tethers.

      Single unity:it is difficult to etablish the point-by-point position of the tether.In the other hand to avoid a huge space occupation according to wind rose,the establishment of an agreement with air authorities would allow to determine the needed space which can be a quarter of kite-farm space,according to the current wind direction. It is yet an enormous space.

      So the implementation of AWECS in no aerial traffic zone (with agreement for a forbidden space) should be studied,perhaps offshore.Indeed Skysails does not seem to have difficulties with their kites flying in a height of 200-300 m (600-900 ft).

      What are your ideas about it?

      PierreB

      http://flygenkite.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
        Pierre,

        NextGen airspace standards will provide us SDO* "trajectory control" of tethers and aircraft by 2025. Meanwhile we have many open opportunities to do our experimental kitefarms within existing regulations (remote locations, obstruction rules, waivers with NOTAM, restricted airspaces, shielded operations, etc.). The 2000ft max altitude assumption for our R&D, as proposed by the FAA, gives us plenty of airspace for most current work.

        Dense-Array KiteFarms do minimize the inherent hazard to aviation, compared to single tether systems, by overall energy capacity.

        SkySails did have a problem with a near-miss between their kite and an airplane, and they have become far more cautious...

        daveS

        * Super-Density Operations

      • Pierre BENHAIEM
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
          DaveS,

          "SkySails did have a problem with a near-miss between their kite and an airplane, and they have become far more cautious..."
          SkySails should it deposit a request of authorization matched by the plan of the space occupied during every travel?

          PierreB

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 13, 2011
            Pierre,

            SkySails should (and probably does) file NOTAM* whenever there is any doubt about air traffic, but the open ocean lower airspace is virtually empty, with no air traffic at all in most regions.

            The mistake SkySails made during their near-miss was to operate too close to the cloud-base in active airspace, making "sense and avoid" almost impossible for the descending aircraft, which was barely able to avoid tragedy,

            daveS

            *Notice To Airmen