Latest Failed Experiment

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2011
      Me and my big mouth.
      "Should work the first time"...
      Well for 3 days of light winds, the kite flew great, but not quite enough pull to keep the propellers from hitting the ground (could not consistently elevate one end of the driveshaft enough that it wasn't occasionally dipping down to Earth), and there wasn't enough wind to really spin up the props consistently anyway.

      Today I noticed the winds were good, with the regular turbines around here cranking out the juice and spinning the meters backwards.

      We went to "film" me taking a kite out of the back of my van whereupon it flew away as the string burned my fingers before I could let go, then the kite reached the end of the string and snapped it.
      The roll came scooting by and I grabbed that, and it pulled real hard, looking like the kite was ready to fold in half, with me leaning back, then the string snapped again, and we can't even find the kite.

      Never even got it reattached to the driveshaft.
      We spun the new Superturbine(R) Sky Serpent with 21 hand-carved props (28" diameter) by attaching the upper end to a portable steel stairway on wheels (we call it the Stairway to Heaven), and it worked fine but nothing new about that, then I realized that my engineering student interns from New York had not actually atttached the driveshaft to the generator, but had not told Doug about that, so it was just jammed together and not really attached. I often note that not much gets done around here unless I do it with my own 2 hands - so many flipper-people! Their hands don't work! Maybe I can go find that kite but it really went sailing away.

      I need to get ahold of a kite that has lots of lift and can withstand high winds, say up to 40 mph. A flexifoil or stack thereof would seem to be a good choice. I'm asking for any recommendations for a brand or source for a flexifoil (or other recommended kite) that can lift say 10 or 15 lbs? more?

      Sorry to Mr. North of NASA since I was bragging to him that it would work the first try. Back to the ole' drawing board!

      Doug S.
    • blturner3
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2011
        I have a flexifoil, It is high strung and has almost no idea which way is up. You have to drive it with both lines almost constantly. I don't think that is what your looking for. I don't know of any dual or quad line kites that are naturally real stable. I suspect that a simple delta may be your best bet as far as bang for the buck and stability. You might also want more than one size for different wind ranges. Stackable may be good.

        Brian