WSIKF AWE Report Part 1- The Great Train Wreck

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
    Washington State International Kite Festival (WSIKF) is a top kiting event with lots of history, like Osborne's monstrous 17,000 sq ft foil killing Edieken or the setting of the official kite endurance record. Its in recent years a cradle for AWE.

    The Great Train Wreck

    WSIKF 09 began with "kite train & arch day" hosted by Kay Buesing, director of the nearby World Kite Museum. By deliberate vision, kiter's back in the eighties set out to establish the Pacific NW as kite train & arch center of the world & so it became. Dozens of trains & arches were now flying at once. KiteLab flew its big AWE utility arch & did halyard experiments. My train & arch apprenticeship continued by crewing & studying three very different thousand-foot-plus trains.

    Iqbal Husein's was 250 diamonds on a Kevlar line. It shows transverse waves of all kinds going up & down & spiraling either way. He pumps energy into the line to launch in low wind. There is potential to phase control such kites & make powerful coherent AWE tugs much as a protozoan flagellum works, but in reverse. Ravi Chandar, a UTexas AE prof, flagellum dynamicist, & AWE watcher, would dig the application.

    For the third year now i helped with Jim Patton's towering classic train (up to 1500 ft alt.) managing to "kiterun" a loose Delta Conyne (failure mode- a parted swivel shackle) from a thicket. Jim is often expertly assisted by Joe & Dale Link. It can take three hours to raise or lower the train, continuously rigging or unrigging all the elements. Jim is the bad boy of the fest, always in trouble with official buzy-bodies. In the middle of the fest he dissappeared in protest & flew at my normal kite spot down the road at the Port of Ilwaco. I was so proud for the refugee train to visit. My old page documenting Jim's methods-

    Biking to the fest on the third day i freaked to see Jim's train close to Iqbal's train. The "kite chaos" turbulence hypothesis predicted collision. I took a picture [attch. jpg] as i warned the crews. Suddenly the Great Train Wreck happened, the two vast trains hooked up.

    Iqbal's Kevlar tether might easily saw Jim's train loose & a vast tower of kites would sail for miles out over the Lower Columbia River. Its a major AWE failure mode, that kites in reach of each other will "fight" & cutaway quickly, often before the tangle is noticed. I proposed that the trains be immediately unanchored & separated by hand(ful). Luckily they pulled apart with only minor damage.

    Terry McPherson set a new record 37 fighters off one line. He let me hand fly the train & wind it up as he walked it down, shareing his master tricks all the while. He finds that when he flies at least four of the chaotic fighters the uncertainty cancels enough for the train to reliably stay up, an important principle for AWE. Here is a cool youtube video of his previous record.

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gN-DJrITp8

    They all go ape, a real spectacle, but this time, in the higher winds along this coast, the fighters all weirdly stabilized by developing keel along their spines like eddy-malays. This limits surge/sweep energy in high wind, a mechanism counter to normal kite destabilization.

    Conclusion-

    100 plus years of kite train & arch experience proves multi-kite arrays are a powerful technique, but with unique challenges. Properly flown they will prove a good AWE scaling strategy. A child can launch a powerful train from a small box. One leading train freak confessed online that he had pulled up a fire hydrant with his box of kites & made a quick getaway.

    NEXT: WSIKF AWE Report Part 2- KiteLab Demos

  • Hardensoft International Limited
    Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2009
      Thanks Dave,
      The link to Peter Lynn's safety piece was particularly in need.
      Regards.
      John

      Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2009
      • John O
        Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2009
          Joe,I did not see your comments.

          Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2009
            --- In AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com, "John O" <hardensoftintl@...> wrote:

            > Joe,I did not see your comments.

            John,
            The photo was the entire message. I called the photo to the message list in a different way. The photo is DaveS' photo of trainwreck.jpg showing the collision of two kite trains. The Yahoo attachment system had some malfunction, so I supplied the photo in another way.

            FURTHERING:
            Kite trains of trains of kytoons has been only slightly covered in the literature. Trains of small kytoons ....either LTA or HTA kytoons are options.

            Trains of self-reinflating LTA kytoons are placed up for consideration for AWE. The self-inflation derives from some mechanism aloft at the kytoon that generates hydrogen from atmospheric ambient moisture split by use of electricity derived either by use of solar radiation converters or kite-motoer electricity or both (noting these two methods does not suggest that there might not be other methods of getting the split water aloft or of getting self-inflation; e.g.---holding out for some membrane that drives in ambient hydrogen from membrane surface into bladder and holds such).

            One aim of such LTA self-inflating trains is for an "ever-up" AWE system that utilizes severe lifter while working oscillators are lower on the line, perhaps very much lower on main tether to get swaths or actions for driving levers, etc., better than if such oscillators were higher. The lifter can be out of sight and the oscillators low, if neighborhood invisibility was an environmental polite response.

            Cheers,
            JoeF