Tree (or kite) Energy Application

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009
      Dear TR,

      Vijay is Cc:ed these micropower "tree" ideas based on your idea since they can also drive a low rpm generator such as KLD is developing. Besides trees, the techniques apply to low kilowatt wind energy using kites or terrain to loft simple fabric wings.

      Two ultra-simple mechanisms exist for the tree-energy app.
      [1] A guyline is run from high on the tree trunk to the ground. A secondary line runs orthogonally from the middle of the guy line to the base of the tree & deflects the guyline. When the guy is tensioned by the swaying tree it pulls the secondary line at a higher speed with longer travel, effectively performing the function of a transformer or gearbox with nothing but string! The fast moving string spins a capstan directly driving a small generator. Elastic return keeps proper tension.

       2] Tree trunk motion is also tappable by a twisted double guyline with a stick spacer holding apart the two strands. An elastic side line to the stick holds a starting twist-force. One sway of the tree drives a fast high sweep turn of the stick (or spinning of a reel) which pulls a power line to a capstan, high RPM for generation.

      These tricks cheaply bridge the gap between slow tree power & gearless generation velocities. "Free" rigid structure is provided by the ground & tree itself. Small anchors & pulleys are the only hardware required. These rigs run both ways & can be cascaded, are vastly cheaper & lighter than gearboxes, & are kite flyable or could be nicely strung over valleys or off structures. Two-way generator output is diode rectified, or a flywheel/freewheel combo can steadily drive a generator unidirectionally.

      A bit of bad news- trees are inherently a aero-inertial dampener network, so the swaying of a trunk or limb is an attenuation of the original wind power & only really kicks in with stronger winds. Nevertheless a forest can be rigged as a "micro" wind-energy field by running multitudes of lines from tree tops to ground anchors. Multilines attached orthogonal to the guys can drive a common shaft equipped with freewheel ratchets. Its an asynchronous power fan-in network to a central generator.

      Will be in TX this winter & will demo the above.

      dave santos
      KiteLab
      Ilwaco, WA
      Austin, TX

      Misc. Notes:

      - Some tree species sway more than others.
      - Planted groves may be especially effective.
      - Tree "towers" can live for hundreds of years.
      - Slings are required where lines attach to trunks.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009

        A truely green idea......exept in Texas right now the trees are all brown. Bastrop would be a good place to set up a test system. I had most of my trees next to the house tied back so they would not beat against the house. Before I did they would hit with so much force that it would shake the second floor enough to make waves in my soup bowl. Pine trees are probably the best in Tx for their tall but narrow and flexable trunks.

        -brooks

        We have been busy since the semester is in full swing.

        If I find a student interested in Kite flying we will put him/her on a project.

        Please keep in touch.

        TR

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet