Disambiguation/// balanced kite(s), dancing kite, counter-balanced kites

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2010
      Whoops, another misreading of new & old terms. Proposed usage to disambiguate-

      balanced kite- existing kitemaker usage for a kite carefully balanced laterally (plural- "balanced kites")
      dancing kite- existing usage for a single-line kite with pronounced motion in flight
      counter-balanced kites- new usage for opposed cross-linked looping kites.

    • reinhartp
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2010
        I would dare to say any kite / wing except for a fighter kite should be considered to be a 'balanced' (daveS) kite, something like 'white snow'...

        By the way, balanced kites (Diehl and others) as the two -or more- kites linked to a single tether via shorter tethers, are not limited to looping.
        They can also fly controlled trajectories on their own shorter tether, as long as the excerted forces are 'balanced' to the ones of the other kites on the main tether.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2010
          An "unbalanced kite" is a common fault-condition in classic kiting, with many causes, so a "balanced kite" only refers to the nominal-condition. Even fighter-kites are carefully tuned for balance, with small ballasts & bridle adjustments. It seems "stability" is being semantically confused with "balance".

          "Opposed Kites" is another option. We could just keep context clear when we use these terms, but there will be occaisional misunderstanding. What we need to keep clear is gravity-balancing, aero-balancing, & centrifugal-balancing. All kites do the first two, but the last is somewhat unusual.

          Note that KiteLab Group's validated looping-kite-under-a-pilot-kite AWECS centrifugally balances, but looks very different than the matched "balanced kites" others are considering. This relaxed symmetry may be a model for passively taming the hairy flight dynamics of matched opposed kites on a Y-tether.