Dancing kites

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2010

      Paragraphs and notes are invited to advance our common tech on dancing kties.  Here below is our entry so far in the AWE Glossary, open for furthering by anyone interested:

      In 1975 Peter R. Payne instructed carefully about two dancing kites from a central point set high on long non-sweeping main tether.

      See video:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gN-DJrITp8

      dancing kites
         [two or more kites flying same circle or other figure from a lofted central point from which main tether begins downward journey; this saves the main long tether from sweeping and subsequent costing drag from such sweep. Rotokite is an instance.   Also, see the record of fighter kites dancing from one main tether (video above).  Think coteries, flowers, branching, bifurcations, trifurcations, quadfurcations.   Also, consider following the kite arches with branches that in each branch could have dancing kite complexes from the arch; see KiteLab for some developments therein.  See Peter R. Payne patent drawings (filed in 1975). Click image for full instruction.
              Also, see Moritz Diehl where he points out that
      "absolute line drag is reduced, as only short lines move fast in cross wind direction" and "centrifugal forces "become our friends" and" curve flying does not
      generate losses anymore. Kite masses can be higher. Kites can compensate each other during retraction, without lift control. Get 14 kW per square meter wing, 40% better than single kites!" p. 28 of SourceHere.

      The AWE Community is invited to advance the "dancing kite" file for all.

      Filler:

      JoeF

    • Dan Parker
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2010
        Hey what gives, those guys and gals look like they are having fun. hmmm!

                                                                                                  Dan'l

        To: AirborneWindEnergy@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2010
          Keep in mind that some use an other name for the Dancing Kites, nl. the "Balanced kites". This term is a little more specific from a scientific point of view.
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2010
            This is a very subtle area as many fine dancing kites actively "hunt" for balance, an application of stochastic resonance. Such kites tend to have more long-period pendulum mass, with extra aerodamping keeping them from looping. Relaxing the damping (removing tail) can set up a nice Dutch-Roll Oscillation (figure-of-eight) for passive-control AWE. Other "balanced" kites fly "pasted-to-the-sky", with less damped-pendulum stability, but when perturbed can tip-over as a flywheel & lock into a death dive. Various stabilizers (wing-tip, keel, etc.) on these types further complicate the picture.

            Varying windspeed interacts chaotically with any kite, constantly stabilizing & destabilizing at harmonic intervals, & dancing often is due to these effects. There is also horizontal helicity & vertical hodographic Ekman spiraling in the wind gradient & a statically well-balanced kite can tip dreadfully & fall out of the sky, but the crazy-dancing quick-looping kite flys on.

            Now i'm dizzy & my head hurts...