Re: [AirborneWindEnergy] Re: Tripod Tether COTS AWE Demo

    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 31, 2009
      Hi Gabe,

      The legs of the string tripod in the video run to an equilateral (~30ft/9m) triangle of three sand anchors with a "corner block" pulley each. The strings run from there to a center crank & drive it by a three phase sequence of tension-slack with no "dead zone".

      The tripod is much more robust to line maladjustment than i first thought, requiring only crude slacking of a "sheet" line from pulley to a windward anchor to tilt the tripod downwind as the wind rounds. Simple variations are under study to automate this adjustment for true "fly & forget" & you may hit on a good solution.

      One minor problem with the looping kite scheme is that the swivels may need a tiny line spreader to operate freely (see JoeF's AWE DIY page coming soon). Sand is a problem for me & i am currently using a  fisherman's six step swivel for the least resistance. Oiling & over-specifying fishing swivels is smart as they overheat in air.

      An improvement may be to have three sheets, from the crank workcell to the anchors, which can place the mobile workcell wherever best adjusts the tripod tilt. Also consider merely turning a bike on its side & driving a pedal, as a drive train. A generator can be driven off the rear wheel at high speed.

      Please get back to JoeF or the list with your progress.

      dave

      PS stay tuned for an even simpler "passive eights" COTS demo

      Message 34 of 34 , Mar 18, 2014
        Doug,

        You failed to address the topic once again, and all-of-a-sudden attacking Reinhart now (another close AWE Friend). Reinhart is a fantastic aerospace talent (TUDelft and FlySurfer), and fully in the right to invoke the Wright Bros.

        Let the record show that in the aerospace community, but not in backyard wind turbines, the Wrights are the primary role model. Every SUCCESSFUL modern aerospace engineer was above-all taught to humbly emulate the wonderful Wrights.

        You simply cannot name a better role model for AWE R&D,

        daveS

        On Monday, March 17, 2014 7:00 AM, "dougselsam@..." <dougselsam@...> wrote:

        Yeah remember when Dave S. was going to have everyone "profiled" by one of his relatives who was a "profiler"?  That will solve AWE!  Yes, what AWE needs is endless distractions.  Do anything except solving the problem.