Re: Wafting lever

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
      Using Dave Santos' nomenclature furtherance from his e-mail forwarding we get evolution from bare wafting lever to controlled kite driven "tipping boom" and even ballasted "dipping boom." And the distant anchoring of kite line can use less ground by bringing the anchor right at the grounded generator. Some forward downwind wheeling might be involved in some variations; let the driven shaft free-sit in the wheel. Trussing the boom might reduce ground use and provide firm hold of driven shaft. Dave Santos suggested ballasting the boom for improved kinematics. I now would like to suppress "wafting" and reserve "wafting" for less-controlled wings in wind, like an energy-generating wafting vertical wing or wind-buffeted high broad fence, etc. I rather like to move toward Dave's "tipping boom" where the crosswind power drives the boom to tip one way and then the other.
      A second sketch begins to bring only some of this forward:

      http://EnergyKiteSystems.net/JoeFaust/AWE/ballastedtippingboom.jpg

      Capture both directions of the crosswind drive via a sprag clutch complex. The perpendicularity of the drive to the driven makes for efficient coupling from one energy field to the generated energy field.
      Collaborative effort in open-source ...
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013