Re: [AirborneWindEnergy] Wafting lever

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2009
      Good Eye, Joe.

      Your "Wafting Lever" is best-yet geometry, horizontal-axis (downwind-axis) crosswind-power, keeps gen on ground, etc..

      We've been wafting our lever/crank schemes (Kite Gen, WPI, MarcR et al, KiteLab, etc.) in the wrong planes!

      Notes-

      Guessing best Wafting Lever crosswind plane slightly tilted upwind

      No active control required for Wafting Lever; to drive SingleLineKite (SLK) can passive "hunt" (small sweeps) or a FlipWIng under a lifter can sweep fast & wide.

      Single Anchor w/ vertical pivot base will work, use downwind wheelbase to counter lever torque

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2009
        This note from Dave Santos
        seems to fit this thread:

        http://www.EnergyKiteSystems.net/DaveSantos/hisweep.mpg

        Attached FlipWing video taken at low altitude in the gusty lee of a hill, these wings run like a metronome in a steady breeze to pump or generate electricity. This wing & lifter kite made from Tyvek to crank a small generator. Now able to passive control sweep of Membrane Wing-Mill to cover whole kite window. The tack speed is also passive controllable, a bit fast on this wing.

        Cross-Wind Power without active controls!

        daveS
        KiteLab

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
          Using Dave Santos' nomenclature furtherance from his e-mail forwarding we get evolution from bare wafting lever to controlled kite driven "tipping boom" and even ballasted "dipping boom." And the distant anchoring of kite line can use less ground by bringing the anchor right at the grounded generator. Some forward downwind wheeling might be involved in some variations; let the driven shaft free-sit in the wheel. Trussing the boom might reduce ground use and provide firm hold of driven shaft. Dave Santos suggested ballasting the boom for improved kinematics. I now would like to suppress "wafting" and reserve "wafting" for less-controlled wings in wind, like an energy-generating wafting vertical wing or wind-buffeted high broad fence, etc. I rather like to move toward Dave's "tipping boom" where the crosswind power drives the boom to tip one way and then the other.
          A second sketch begins to bring only some of this forward:

          http://EnergyKiteSystems.net/JoeFaust/AWE/ballastedtippingboom.jpg

          Capture both directions of the crosswind drive via a sprag clutch complex. The perpendicularity of the drive to the driven makes for efficient coupling from one energy field to the generated energy field.
          Collaborative effort in open-source ...
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013