String Variloops Made Easy

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2010
      Sorry to Brooks for not posting this to JoeF's string variloop thread earlier, but this is a topic i have worked for several years now. The finding is that string variloops are a practical AWE power transmission option.

      All you need is a fixed spool that the loop is wound onto over the top of the spool. As the loop is launched the take-up side of the loop is passively unwound off the spool. The turbine capstan or bull-wheel is allowed to roll out the slack return side of the loop as it grows. Once the loop is fully extended & unwound the turbine then pulls the loop powering the groundgen capstan or bull-wheel. To retract the process reverses but the slack side of the loop is now taken up until the loop is fully wound & landed. Interestingly the loop reverses direction each session. A detail is that the loop is reverse threaded on the capstans or bull-wheels each session. One could design to reverse the turbine to rewind.

      A string loop requires a splice or connector fitting. To add to or hotswap a loop merely requires adding sections by connecting in. To work on a moving loop is not that hard, may industrial conveyor systems have sidetrack capabilities, think of train yard operations as a mega example.

      This is how KiteLab's successful KiteMotor 1 variloop is manually handled & automation seems practical. There are many possible variations in handling variloops & Brooks approach is also workable. Ideas involving many always-engaged pulleys do stink, but Dan'ls idea of using terrain suspension to hide long side-pulled sections is cool. A single pair of added split-pulleys suffices & any number of such pulleys can be completely disengaged for zero added friction during power generation.

      coopip

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2010

        So far, the entry in the AWE Glossary:
        string variloop
        Two general considerations:
        1. loop not-working while let out or hauled in   and
        2. loop works during variation of let-out skied portion.
        See discussions:
        M945     M1021

        Hundreds of terms in AWE Glossary await attention
        by those particularly interested in a term. Comments,
        links.  The evolving AWE Glossary is in AWE Sector.

        Terms and comments may be input in various ways:

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2010

          This is a very secondary requirement with complexity & capital cost penalty-

          2. loop powers during variation

          Hidden are differences between reel-in & reel-out states. My recommendation is focus on essential function (for now). A cool trick, however, is to use the turbine to winch itself down, which happened spontaneously one time when a wrong splice knot hung in a fairlead.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2010
            Sorry to DaveS for me not explaining my reasoning more clearly. I see much advantage to having the loop to be variable length as with any AWE system the goal is to find the wind energy and harvest it. Its not always in the same place all the time. I have several different designs scratched out involving connectible segments but for simplicity of automated unmanned operation(MY requirement for AWE to reach a significant level of operation) the winder arm was my best bet and easiest to CAD up.
            -brooks

[...]

            PeoplePC Online
            A better way to Internet
            http://www.peoplepc.com