Dogstake Method For AWES Kite Handling (complete info)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2013
      Review and Update-

      The basic dogstake method flies the kite from a downwind position from a stake upwind that the lines run thru. Flyer and kite are then together, downwind, usually so a "ballet" flyer can "dance" closely with the kite.

      KiteLab Ilwaco found this method to be an ideal way to launch and land power kites directly from the piloting position, allowing the pilot to also serve as a self-"kite-buddy". A kitesailing variation, to avoid short-line launch harmonics, was to launch from a sea-anchor as the dogstake, and easily pick up the anchor as the kite towed the boat upwind (old Forum post).

      One of many small 2013 Encampment experiments was to fly a 7.5m2 NASA Power Wing by the dogstake method, but with a zipline trolley (unloaded in this case) instead of the stake. It worked well, with some bloopers due to the reversed POV "mind-f#%*", that takes a while to master.

      Kitefliers have evolved elaborate pulley stakes and trick repertoires in recent years. KiteLife Forums have several long topic threads covering various details. Here's John Barresi's overview-

      Legendary kite designer and flyer (and a teacher to me), Lee Sedgewick recalls how the dogstake idea came to him in the late eighties, in trying to solve a powerkite issue-

      "By accident, I came up with using the dog stake. I was trying to figure out a way to launch from a small area for power kites. I had this dog stake in the ground and I launched a single kite and started walking. Then, I noticed that I could bring the kite over. I brought it closer to me and then I went downwind and then the kite was in my hands, and I was like, “Oh, my God, this is something!” That was another one of those joyous days of kiting – there have been so many joyous days of kiting – so after I got done, I was elated. I went home and said to Sue, “Wait until you see what I did!”

      John Barresi again, showing grand mastery-

    • joe_f_90032
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2013

        Consider:

        1. Secondary eye-anchor to safety the first main working anchors.

        2. For the Mind#$%^& change on stunting: consider crossing the two lines, but to stay off line rub.  Like having two mirrors to get back to normal view.