Distorted sound with Airwire?Phoenix P5

  • Gary Armitstead
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2008
      I have Airwire?Phoenix P5 in my Bachmann Connie. I have had it for
      about a year and I'm breaking it in on rollers. The last few times I've
      run it, the sounds become garbled or distorted after a few minutes at
      normal speed. As I slow down to stop, the sounds are again normal, no
      distortion. I did not do the install myself. Any suggestions?
    • Joel Waterman
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 12, 2008
        I would start with the battery and make sure it was fully charged.

        Joel Waterman
        Rushbury Valley Railroad
        rushbury_valley@...

      • Gary Armitstead
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 12, 2008
          --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, Joel Waterman <rushbury_valley@...>
          wrote:

          > I would start with the battery and make sure it was fully charged.
          >
          > Joel Waterman
          > Rushbury Valley Railroad
          > rushbury_valley@...
          >
          > Thanks Joel. That's the first thing I checked. I hooked it up to the
          charger and it shows fully charged.

        • Bill Swindell
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 12, 2008
            Assuming that you are running at least 12 volts on your batteries,
            another possibility is a problem with the speaker. If you are running
            less than 12 volts and the volume is turned up fairly high, the P5
            drivers may be distorting.
          • Doug Prescott
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
              Suggest you check your battery with the load/Airwire ON it. You can check the Airwire screw
              taps. I had the case that a fully charged battery on the bench, went to zero when hooked up-
              -defective cell. Doug

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 13, 2008
                --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Prescott" <dep48@...> wrote:

                > Suggest you check your battery with the load/Airwire ON it. You can
                check the Airwire screw
                > taps. I had the case that a fully charged battery on the bench,
                went to zero when hooked up-
                > -defective cell. Doug
                > Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. It looks like a problem
                with lack of power getting to the P/5 card. When Jonathan returns
                from Portland, I talk to him. I'm "electronically challenged", if you
                know what i mean.
                > --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Armitstead" <rmstd@> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, Joel Waterman <rushbury_valley@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I would start with the battery and make sure it was fully
                charged.

                > > > Joel Waterman
                > > > Rushbury Valley Railroad
                > > > rushbury_valley@
                > > >
                > > > Thanks Joel. That's the first thing I checked. I hooked it up
                to the
                > > charger and it shows fully charged.

              • Bill Kohler
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 14, 2008
                  Danger!

                  Be VERY CAREFUL when measuring the voltage at the DCC output screw terminals
                  on the AirWire board!!! A split-second short between the two terminals (i.e.
                  fat probe tips) will instantly release all the "Magic Smoke" from the DCC
                  buffer chips!

                  They are NOT current limited!!!

                  Been there! Done that! Got the T-shirt!

                  Bill Kohler