Re: throttle comparison

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2006
      --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Cutter" <RGSEast@...> wrote:

      > My pleasure.
      >
      > The 9000 also includes a page of crib notes for most of the
      programming
      > activites you would use. It can be put in plastic and kept in your
      pocket or
      > somewhere close.
      >
      > I am interested in hearing how many of you just use the 28 or 128
      speed
      > steps and how many have tried programming in momentum or other
      speed tables.
      > I spent several days with my first loco and finally threw my hands
      up and
      > went with the 128 steps.
      >
      > Momentum scares me with visiting engineers and no emergency stop
      button on
      > the throttle.
      >
      > Roger

      Roger,
      I have operated on a couple HO layouts with DCC and moentum and it
      is more realistic on response but found many new operators are not
      used to that. Not saying badly but most are used to toy train knobs
      where you turn the knob and get immediate response.

      This added a new level of running the train since the Engineer would
      need to plan his running more and not expect to race up to a car on
      a spur and stop on a dime. It was a new operating challenge and was
      nice to run with.

      Would I suggest it maybe not. Would I setup my engines to operate
      this way I do not know. I think that the larger scale trains will
      come with more real life momentum to deal with but adding a touch
      more through the throttle could really put a twist on things. Would
      be neat to try though!!!!

      Rick
    • Kevin Miller
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2006
        I am running my engines in the 128 step mode. I have programmed a
        little bit of momentum in both excel/decel mode.

        Kevin