Introduction

  • Barb Karkutt
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 3, 2007
      Our moderator suggested an introduction by me for this group.
      So...............
      Hi..I am a Barbara aka Barb. I have 3 layouts..an indoor layout
      which is set up between T'Day and February which is a track powered
      1:22.5 scale and runs 2 Sam's Club Annies. I also have a Fairyland
      layout over the sump area of my pondless waterfall..it runs a ladybug
      eggliner and 2 fairy cars.
      My main Layout is set in Colorado in the 1890s...the Red Rock Valley
      Div of the D&RG.It is also 1:22.5. I have the Bachmann D&RG Annie
      for my passenger train which is powered by AirWire, a Silverton Annie
      for my freight train (Bumble Bee color scheme) also powered by
      AirWire and a 2-6-0 Indie for my mining train also powered by
      AirWire. All of the AirWire systems are in the tender along with the
      DSX sound card. I have another Indie for my logging line (if it ever
      gets built) and an 0-4-0 switcher for my freight yard (still trying
      to figure out how to put an AirWire in it as it has no tender).
      I built (from scratch) a 3-bay engine house (all cedar) for the
      freight yard and I was hoping that I could keep my engines in there
      overnight so I could just hook up to the consist (kept on tracks in
      the freight yard)and start running. Now I here that AirWire does not
      take kindly to humidity (we do have some very humid days in Penna)and
      it would not be wise to keep them there. So I guess my first question
      is...is it true????? As far as I can tell the engine house does not
      leak..but what if a sudden rain storm comes up while I am running???
      Is there something I should do in the tender to protect it???
      Thanks a bunch
      Barb
    • Joel Waterman
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 3, 2007
        Hi Barb,

        Funny you should mention moisture/humidity. I recently had an AirWire receiver fail for no apparent reason. It had been out in the shed where I store my engines so I can drive them out on to the railroad. It had rained as I was last putting it away. After a week of inactivity I went to turn it on and it was dead. Power at the inputs to the card but no response at all. A new receiver worked normally, so I believe it was the AierWire's response to moisture that caused the failure.

        Joel Waterman

        Joel Waterman
        Rushbury Valley Railroad
        rushbury_valley@...

      • Dave Crocker
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 3, 2007
          When I was working, we had to conformal coat electronic boards to prevent problems with
          condensation. This was a special coating that was sprayed or brushed over all the
          components and the circuit board. I wonder if Airwire would recommend a spray such as a
          spray urethane that could be applied to the board to protect against humidity problems?

          Dave Crocker
          TumbleDown Creek RR in 1:20.3
        • Wayne Asbury
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 7, 2007
            Anything with Airwire installed transmitter and engines must come inside? Many of us use sheds for storage of trains so...... what are your opinions from those of you who use airwire?

            Wayne

            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 7, 2007
              The question of moisture and Airwire was an interesting one to research.
              After consulting with a few electronics engineers, their feeling is thus:

              "Humidity is not an issue. But dew or other visible moisture, combined with
              dirt and dust present on uncovered electronics is a no-no and will cause
              problems."

              So, while storing your engines with Airwire in outdoor sheds, as I do,
              humidity will not in itself cause a problem. If your installation does not
              adequately protect the electronics from the introduction of dust and dirt and,
              heaven forbid, your engine is caught in an unscheduled rainstorm courtesy of your
              local irrigation system, then you may encounter a problem of shorting out the
              receiver.

              If your installation is in a diesel with open grill work or operating fans
              in the roof, then you should err on the side of safety and protect your
              receiver from inadvertent introduction of water to the interior of the locomotive.
              Remember that the receiver must be able to disperse heat and therefore should
              NOT be enclosed in a sealed container. A happy medium must be maintained for
              the health of the receiver from both water and heat.

              I hope this adequately answers your question.

              Bob Ferguson
              Garden Railroad Supply Co.
              www.gardenrrsupply.com

            • bkarkutt
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                So what does that mean for a system installed in a tender on a steam engine???? Actually I have sent an email to CVP on this question. Received an auto reply that they were at the Narrow Guage Convention and therefore could not answer until they return Sept 10th. I will update when I get a reply/answer
                Barb

              • jonathan bliese
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 8, 2007
                  Okay, from someone who has been there /done that dozens of times, and I
                  have an electrical eng background: It is true the system may not work when
                  started up after overnight storage outside on a damp or wet evening. I have
                  never seen this after storage in a shed, only when I left a train on open
                  track overnight. However, the board DOES NOT fail, it simply does not work
                  until warmed up or dried out. Literally 30 seconds with a drier in an open
                  tender, or 2 minutes of sun in an open tender has restored operation
                  immediately. Failed mode is indicated by a whistle type sound or howl as
                  soon as power is applied.

                  Enclosing an installation to avoid this is likely to do more harm than good,
                  and is not worth the effort. Not a big deal folks.

                  Jonathan

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 14, 2007
                    Hello,

                    My name is Joe Bird and I have a home in Laporte, Pa. It's the county seat of Sullivan
                    County and the second smallest county seat in the USA...yes all 289 year-round residents
                    of Laporte.

                    I've been building the Bird's Nest Railway for the last 6-7 years...I'm maybe half-done with
                    it. I'm 55 and just getting an early start on my evenutual retirement hobby.

                    The Bird's Nest Railway got it's name from my wife Becky's gift shop in nearby Eagles Mere
                    called the Bird's Nest. It's a 'turn-of-the-century' narrow guage, G-scale line that models
                    the lumbering and vacation resort world of Sullivan County in the early 1900's when
                    Pennyslvania lumbering was at it's peak and the priviledged class of Philadelphia would
                    escape the summer heat and disease of the city by taking the railroad to the vacation
                    hotels of Eagles Mere.

                    My track is all LGB and my engines are LGB Moguls and Mikado's. I had been using LGB's
                    MTS DCC system with it's system of decoders, centtral station, and wireless transmitter/
                    reciever. It wasn't very reliable and fairly complicated. The LGB track cleaning engine I
                    used to clean my track kept breaking down and lightning hit my layout once and
                    destroyed two engines.

                    I decided to go battery supply with the Airwire 900 system and Phoenix P5 sound. I'm in
                    the middle of my first conversion using a Bachmann 50 Ton, 3-truck Shay. I bought my
                    stuff from Clem O'jevich of Warrior Run Loco Works in Nanticoke. Roger Cutter has been a
                    huge help with the wiring of the decoder and the placement of everything...so far so good.
                    I've got the batteries in place and the decoder partially wired. The charging jack, fuse, and
                    switch are installed. This weekend will be the sound system and the lighting.

                    Evenutally my outdoor garden railrway will be about 300 ft of mainline track with a large
                    pond and stream. I had an Amish family build me a 10 X 12 building on the perimeter of
                    the railroad. I outfitted the building with lots of shelves and installed stone tunnel portals
                    so the railroad runs right through the building...great for storage. I've got some pictures
                    on the Stoneworks web site (great modeling site for stone & masonry buildings) at
                    www.rrstoneworks.com

                    Hope to learn a bit more about the capabilities of Airewire through this group.

                    Thanks for reading,

                    Joe Bird
                  • KLMolchanow@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 14, 2007
                      In a message dated 12/14/2007 8:47:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                      jabird1152@... writes:

                      I'm in
                      the middle of my first conversion using a Bachmann 50 Ton, 3-truck Shay.

                      Joe:

                      Welcome on board. You should have that Shay done in plenty of time for
                      the meet in Scranton.

                      Ken
                      RGSSJD

                    • Gary Armitstead
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 28, 2007
                        Hi, my name is Gary Armitstead. I live in Burbank, California and I've
                        been into model railroading most of my life. I have been a member of
                        Los Angeles Live Steamers for over 27 years. I have a 1600 series P.E.
                        Baldwin Electric box cab in 7.5 inch gauge with a few cars and a
                        caboose. I have been building a Gene Allen ten wheeler for the last 20
                        years. I know. I know. It should be finished by now. But a few projects
                        always get in the way! We also operate a Gene Allen Mogul at L.A.L.S.
                        Been interested in Colorado narrow gauge for as long as I can remember.
                        Started in garden railroading in 1985 with the #2018 LGB Mogul and some
                        D&RGW passenger cars. At the last Anaheim Show earlier this year, I
                        ended up at the booth for Electric Model works owned by Jonathan Bliese
                        and I have been hooked on 1/20.3 narrow gauge since then. Jonathan
                        installed Airwire/Phoenix P5 in a Bachmann Connie in August and I have
                        been very pleased with the Airwire system. I have joined this group to
                        try to learn how the install is done and MAYBE try it myself on my next
                        engine.

                        I know a few of you in this group and I'm anxious to learn.
                      • scedarleaf@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 28, 2007
                          Hi Gary,

                          You've hooked up with a very good supplier in Jonathan. Just got off the
                          phone with him. You'll love Airwire. It's a very good system...

                          Welcome to the "dark side."

                          Stan Cedarleaf
                          Trains "R" Fun

                          _Prescott Canyon Southern Garden RR_ (http://www.trainweb.org/pcsrr)
                          and
                          _Cedarleaf Custom Decals_
                          (http://gold.mylargescale.com/StanCedarleaf/WebPageDecals/CustomDecalsx.html)

                        • Gary Armitstead
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 28, 2007
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 28, 2007
                              Gary, I just got a K-37 from a friend to convert to Airwire. It's gonna be
                              a fun one... ;) ;) ;)

                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 28, 2007
                                This is a test. Hope all the junk is gone this time.

                                Gary, I just got a K-37 from a friend to convert to Airwire. It's gonna be
                                a fun one... ;) ;) ;)

                                Stan Cedarleaf
                                Trains "R" Fun

                                .

                                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=17607972/grpspId=1706043012/msgI
                                d=652/stime=1198902680/nc1=3848621/nc2=4025373/nc3=4725796>

                              • Roger Cutter
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 29, 2007
                                  Welcome Gary. Seems you and I have been doing some talking on the MLS site.
                                  Good group here and I am sure your questions will get answered.

                                  Roger Cutter
                                  RGS East in 1:20.3

                                  --
                                  Rog