Re: My first installation of an Airwire 9000 system in a Spectrum Mogul

  • Kevin Miller
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2007
      Daniel,

      Sorry for the slow response. My dear 89 year old mother decided she
      needed to spend some time in the Hospital. She's OK now.

      I removed the smoke unit then attached some perf board to the plastic
      smoke unit mount. Double sided tape attached the Airwire board to the
      perfboard. Now I just remove two screws and the unit slides out. The
      only time I tried a smoke unit it left an oiley mess on the engine so
      I never use them.

      Kevin
    • Charles Collins
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 21, 2007
        Daniel, Did you ever get an answer about why you lost your smoke
        generator? I am planning to install an Airwire decoder in a Bachmann
        Heisler and I want to remove the factory PC board and power
        everything from the Airwire. Can you hookup the smoke generator
        directly to the airwire without using the Bachmann factory PC board?

        Regards,
        Chuck Collins

        --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "DANIEL BENOIT" <sandcrab123@...>
        wrote:

        > Kevin,
        >
        > Believe me when I say I tried every which way to jam that full
        length board
        > up the front of that boiler! As per my original post I removed ALL
        of the
        > electronics from the Spectrum including the board. I even
        contemplated
        > removing the weight and milling a slot in it, but decided cutting
        the board
        > in half was an easier option. After reassembling the board by
        stacking it
        > together with some plastic shims and plastic epoxy glue and
        mounting the
        > whole assembly on the original board mount, it just fit nicely into
        the
        > boiler. An additional challenge was folding up the heavier wire
        leads I
        > installed directly to the motor and battey pack.
        >
        > I managed to screw up my smoke unit in the process. Any ideas on
        where to
        > get parts or rewire it. Was the 14.4 Volts too much for it? Thanks
        for the
        > comments. Wish I'd have found this forum before I started, but then
        > wouldn't have had any original ideas would I?
        >

        > >From: "Kevin Miller" <kevin@...>
        > >To: AirWire@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [AirWire] Re: My first installation of an Airwire 9000
        system in a
        > >Spectrum Mogul
        > >Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 03:34:33 -0000
        > >
        > >Daniel,
        > >
        > >Nice to hear you had a successful install. You can get the Airwire
        > >board into the boiler of the Spectrum in one piece if you remove
        the
        > >Bachmann PC board. I mounted a perf board to the smoke unit mount
        and
        > >then used double sided tape to mount the receiver. The antenna
        goes
        > >right up the smokestack.
        > >
        > >http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/KevinMiller/4-4-0-boiler.jpg
        > >
        > >Kevin Miller

        > The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by
        Experian.
        > http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?
        sc=660600&bcd=EMAILFOOTERAVERAGE

      • DANIEL BENOIT
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
          Chuck,

          I am so sorry it took me so long to reply. Just too busy with all my stuff! Yes I did wire the original smoke box to the airwire. I honestly believe I broke the coil while doing the conversion. I haven't had time to get back to it, but I've been thinking about ways to repair it short of replacing it with another original. The smoke unit is nothing but a coil of resistance wire. With some creativity it shouldn't be hard to rewind it so that it would be perfect for your battery pack. Resistance wire is usually rated by the foot. I.E one foot would be X ohms. So by wiring the correct length on the bobbin we should be able to get the right amount of heat for that perfect smoke. Right? Now if I can only figure out how to get black "working man's" smoke!!

          Daniel

          To: AirWire@yahoogroups.comFrom: chascollins@...: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:08:57 +0000Subject: [AirWire] Re: My first installation of an Airwire 9000 system in a Spectrum Mogul

          Daniel, Did you ever get an answer about why you lost your smoke generator? I am planning to install an Airwire decoder in a Bachmann Heisler and I want to remove the factory PC board and power everything from the Airwire. Can you hookup the smoke generator directly to the airwire without using the Bachmann factory PC board?Regards,Chuck Collins--- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "DANIEL BENOIT" <sandcrab123@...> wrote:>> Kevin,> > Believe me when I say I tried every which way to jam that full length board > up the front of that boiler! As per my original post I removed ALL of the > electronics from the Spectrum including the board. I even contemplated > removing the weight and milling a slot in it, but decided cutting the board > in half was an easier option. After reassembling the board by stacking it > together with some plastic shims and plastic epoxy glue and mounting the > whole assembly on the original board mount, it just fit nicely into the > boiler. An additional challenge was folding up the heavier wire leads I > installed directly to the motor and battey pack.> > I managed to screw up my smoke unit in the process. Any ideas on where to > get parts or rewire it. Was the 14.4 Volts too much for it? Thanks for the > comments. Wish I'd have found this forum before I started, but then I > wouldn't have had any original ideas would I?> > > >From: "Kevin Miller" <kevin@...>> >Reply-To: AirWire@yahoogroups.com> >To: AirWire@yahoogroups.com> >Subject: [AirWire] Re: My first installation of an Airwire 9000 system in a > >Spectrum Mogul> >Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 03:34:33 -0000> >> >Daniel,> >> >Nice to hear you had a successful install. You can get the Airwire> >board into the boiler of the Spectrum in one piece if you remove the> >Bachmann PC board. I mounted a perf board to the smoke unit mount and> >then used double sided tape to mount the receiver. The antenna goes> >right up the smokestack.> >> >http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/KevinMiller/4-4-0-boiler.jpg> >> >Kevin Miller> >> > __________________________________________________________> The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by Experian. > http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=660600&bcd=EMAILFOOTERAVERAGE>