Modern batteries?

  • Gary Nichols
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
      Has anyone had experience with the [1] new Polymer lightweight
      batteries and extremely small/thin; and [2] Lithion-Ion
      (Li-Ion) batteries-same shape as Ni-MH. Later, Gary
    • Dave Winter
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
        I've seen the Polymer lightweight batteries in some RC aircraft shops.
        Those guys use them because of the size and the flex but they are very
        expensive and will burn up on a moments notice. If these are the same ones
        I was shown they even have a fire proof bag to put them in while they were
        being charged.

        Could be mistaken though :-)

        Dave at www.wvrr.ca

      • scedarleaf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
          Gary, I use the "AA" size 14.8 volt Li-ions from battery space. They work very well, with good runtimes and are lightweight. Charge only with the recommended charger Batteryspace sells for the Li-ion batteries.

          I do use them in my medium to lighter weight locomotives rather than the "heavy stuff." The heavier locomotive lashups with 4 motors, I'm still using gel cells as I have a ton of them and they run right nicely for me.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2007
              Gary: I have used them quite a bit, but do not as yet sell them in
              installations. Most of the lithium setups need to be watched carefully
              during charge operations, and should be charged externally. Since most of my
              r/c work involves the ability to charge in situ, this is not a compatible
              requirement yet. I have run them on my own stuff to general satisfaction,
              and just built a large 4800 mah 14.8 v set up for testing in Accucraft
              locos, which I will run this summer on my own line.

              Jonathan

              _____