New To Group

  • Charles Collins
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
      Hi All. I am a new member to this group. I have been a model railroader
      for many years. I originally started with a Lionel train set a got for
      Christmas when I was five years old. I am now over 60 so I have been
      chasing trains for a long time. I modeled in 1/4 finescale for many
      years but about five years ago decided to move to the garden and try
      modeling in 1:20.3 scale. I have several Bachmann and LGB locomotives
      which I run on battery power. I have been using RCS radio control and
      Phoenix sound. I have been unhappy with the performance of the RCS
      system and am looking for something else. This AirWire900 system looks
      promising. But before I make a purchase I always like to get the
      recommendations of those who have used the product.

      As I said, I model outdoors. I live in Northern California on a 12 arce
      homesite so I have plenty of room. I need a radio control that will
      work over the greatest possible distance. Do you think the AirWire900
      system will fill that bill?
    • Scott Suleski
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
        Charles - I have used both LocoLinc and Aristo Train Engineer and
        have a friends who used RCS. We both have switched to Airwire and
        are very happy with the product. It has the best range out of
        anything I've seen.

        Scott

        --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Charles Collins" <the_2footer@...>

      • scedarleaf@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
          That's the general report, Scott....

          Glad you're hooked.

          Enjoy

          Stan Cedarleaf
          Trains "R" Fun

          _Prescott Canyon Southern Garden RR_ (http://www.trainweb.org/pcsrr)
          and
          _Cedarleaf Custom Decals_
          (http://gold.mylargescale.com/StanCedarleaf/WebPageDecals/CustomDecalsx.html)

        • scedarleaf@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
            Airwire should cover you right nicely. If you get 2 acres away, you can't
            see the train.

            Stan Cedarleaf
            Trains "R" Fun

            _Prescott Canyon Southern Garden RR_ (http://www.trainweb.org/pcsrr)
            and
            _Cedarleaf Custom Decals_
            (http://gold.mylargescale.com/StanCedarleaf/WebPageDecals/CustomDecalsx.html)

          • Joel Waterman
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
              You will also be delighted with how easy it is to connect your Phoenix sound system. Two wires to the AirWire DCC output gives you 8 or 12 sounds you can control with your transmitter push buttons.

              Joel Waterman
              Burlington, Ontario, Canada

[...]

            • ARTHUR GIBSON

                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
                  That sounds like what I want. Don't know if this is permissible here
                  but does anyone have a favorite dealer or do you just buy directly
                  from CVP?

                  --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, Joel Waterman <rushbury_valley@...>
                  wrote:

                  > You will also be delighted with how easy it is to connect your
                  Phoenix sound system. Two wires to the AirWire DCC output gives you
                  8 or 12 sounds you can control with your transmitter push buttons.

                  > Joel Waterman
                  > Burlington, Ontario, Canada
                  >
                  > Charles Collins <the_2footer@...> wrote:
                  > Hi All. I am a new member to this group. I have been a
                  model railroader
                  > for many years. I originally started with a Lionel train set a got
                  for
                  > Christmas when I was five years old. I am now over 60 so I have
                  been
                  > chasing trains for a long time. I modeled in 1/4 finescale for many
                  > years but about five years ago decided to move to the garden and
                  try
                  > modeling in 1:20.3 scale. I have several Bachmann and LGB
                  locomotives
                  > which I run on battery power. I have been using RCS radio control
                  and
                  > Phoenix sound. I have been unhappy with the performance of the RCS
                  > system and am looking for something else. This AirWire900 system
                  looks
                  > promising. But before I make a purchase I always like to get the
                  > recommendations of those who have used the product.
                  >
                  > As I said, I model outdoors. I live in Northern California on a 12
                  arce
                  > homesite so I have plenty of room. I need a radio control that will
                  > work over the greatest possible distance. Do you think the
                  AirWire900
                  > system will fill that bill?

                • ARTHUR GIBSON
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007
                    I use rgssr@... Use someone who installs and knows what to look for if you have a problem. Use someone who will work with you and help you.

                    Charles Collins <the_2footer@...> wrote: That sounds like what I want. Don't know if this is permissible here

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 8, 2007

                      I use _rgssr@..._ (mailto:rgssr@...) Use someone who

                      Charles Collins <_the_2footer@the_2foot_ (mailto:the_2footer@...) >
                      wrote: That sounds like what I want. Don't know if this is permissible here
                      but does anyone have a favorite dealer or do you just buy directly
                      from CVP?

                      The CVP website has a complete listing of dealers. You can also get sales
                      and installation at _www.gardenrrsupply.com_ (http://www.gardenrrsupply.com) , a
                      CVP authorized dealer.

                    • Jeff
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 9, 2007
                        Welcome Charles,
                        Jonathan Bliese of Electric Modelworks (on the links page) is who I
                        got mine from. He is VERY helpful, as well as knowledgable! That is
                        not to say that he's the only one. I've not heard any bad reports
                        from/about anyone. Of course, this group has been great for help, too.
                        A big thanks to Frolin for starting it!
                        Jeff Bowen, CEO - Norfolk & WayPal GRR
                      • JOHNS-HOBBIES@att.net

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 9, 2007
                              --- "Jeff" <Hoosiergscaler@...> wrote:

                              > Of course, this group has been great for help,
                              > too. A big thanks to Frolin for starting it!
                              > Jeff Bowen, CEO - Norfolk & WayPal GRR

                              Jeff,

                              Just seemed like the obvious thing to do and was a needed platform
                              to allow folks to exchange information, idea, aid and tips, about
                              the Airwire system!

                              Either being someone new and curious about the product and maybe
                              wanting to buy. Or someone who has a system and wants to ask how
                              someone else wired up something. This is a place to share and ask!

                              of course, the Group is only as good as the great members it has.
                              And we have a great group of helpful and friendly folks here!

                              Frolin Marek
                              Moderator

                              ...oh yea, and indoor Gn3 modeler too!
                              Marek Mountain Railroad
                              http://www.Frolin.net
                            • Rick Marty
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 9, 2007
                                Hi Charles,

                                I'll put my 2cents worth in here for Airwire. Did my first install on
                                a Bachmann Annie last spring, couldn't believe the performance. At
                                125 feet, farther than I could see the train, I still had complete
                                control of the locomotive. The LGB sound was another story, at about
                                30-50 feet it started to get a little flakey on the control. But that
                                was a known problem and the new Phoenix P5 is supposed to solve that.
                                We'll see.

                                As for dealers I have to cast my vote for Jonathan Bliese at Electric
                                and Steam Model Works. I met him at the Narrow Gauge Convention in
                                Santa Clara a few years back and was impressed with his knowdledge and
                                integrity. So I ordered from him and was not dissapointed. He walked
                                me through the complete install by telephone and email and always had
                                time to answer dumb questions from a beginner.

                                He is now helping me with my second install and is very patiently
                                answering the same questions again.

                                I have little expierence with the other RC systems on the market and
                                after using Airwire I probably never will.

                                Not a dealer or part owner, just a very satisfied customer.
                                Thanks for your time.
                                Rick
                              • Bill Kohler
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 9, 2007
                                  As to the sound module - I have a Bachmann Shay (36-ton) in which I
                                  installed the AirWire receiver nearly a year ago. I waited patiently
                                  for Phoenix to finally start shipping the P5 - and it was well worth
                                  the wait! I haven't tried to see how far I can get away from the
                                  locomotive before I lose control of either the loco or the sound, but
                                  so far I've been over 40 feet away and had complete control over
                                  both. The P5 is a really smooth installation and driving two 8-ohm
                                  speakers in parallel (1 in the loco and the other in the optional
                                  trail car with the bigger battery), it is L-O-U-D!!

                                  I listened to the sound of the 3-truck shay review on LSOL which has
                                  the Soundtraxx Tsunami installed and I definitely prefer the whistle
                                  sounds in the P5!

                                  Hmmm -- I should get some pictures and a video up the photos
                                  section...

                                  Bill Kohler

                                  --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Marty" <ricnpat@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Charles,
                                  >
                                  > I'll put my 2cents worth in here for Airwire. Did my first install
                                  on
                                  > a Bachmann Annie last spring, couldn't believe the performance. At
                                  > 125 feet, farther than I could see the train, I still had complete
                                  > control of the locomotive. The LGB sound was another story, at
                                  about
                                  > 30-50 feet it started to get a little flakey on the control. But
                                  that
                                  > was a known problem and the new Phoenix P5 is supposed to solve
                                  that.
                                  > We'll see.
                                  >
                                  > As for dealers I have to cast my vote for Jonathan Bliese at
                                  Electric
                                  > and Steam Model Works. I met him at the Narrow Gauge Convention in
                                  > Santa Clara a few years back and was impressed with his knowdledge
                                  and
                                  > integrity. So I ordered from him and was not dissapointed. He
                                  walked
                                  > me through the complete install by telephone and email and always
                                  had
                                  > time to answer dumb questions from a beginner.
                                  >
                                  > He is now helping me with my second install and is very patiently
                                  > answering the same questions again.
                                  >
                                  > I have little expierence with the other RC systems on the market and
                                  > after using Airwire I probably never will.
                                  >
                                  > Not a dealer or part owner, just a very satisfied customer.
                                  > Thanks for your time.
                                  > Rick

                                • Rick Marty
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 10, 2007
                                    --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kohler" <williekohler@...> wrote:

                                    > As to the sound module - I have a Bachmann Shay (36-ton) in which I
                                    > installed the AirWire receiver nearly a year ago. I waited patiently
                                    > for Phoenix to finally start shipping the P5 - and it was well worth
                                    > the wait!

                                    Hi Bill,
                                    Yes I'm installing the P5 with Airwire in my Bachmann Connie, couldn't
                                    believe the low price on the P5, and using on board batteries.

                                    I had Jonathan program the P5 for the Phoenix EBT 2-8-2 sound, I know,
                                    I know, you purest will throw rocks at me for using that, but damn it
                                    sounds good. Besides nobody that comes to my house will know, grin.

                                    Later
                                    Rick
                                  • Bill Gebhardt
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 10, 2007
                                      --- In AirWire@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Marty" <ricnpat@...> wrote:
                                      > Hi Bill,
                                      > Yes I'm installing the P5 with Airwire in my Bachmann Connie, couldn't
                                      > believe the low price on the P5, and using on board batteries.
                                      >
                                      > I had Jonathan program the P5 for the Phoenix EBT 2-8-2 sound, I know,
                                      > I know, you purest will throw rocks at me for using that, but damn it
                                      > sounds good. Besides nobody that comes to my house will know, grin.
                                      >
                                      > Later
                                      > Rick

                                      Rick, I will know, but won't tell
                                      Bill Gebhardt