Re: Installing AirWire in a USA GP7

  • Frolin Marek
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2006
      --- "Brian Briggs" <brianobriggs@...> wrote:

      > Hey All,
      >
      > I am hoping one of the experts here can help me.
      > I am planning on putting Airwire (with battery power)
      > into a USA GP7 and removing all track connections. I
      > am also planning on removing the smoke unit. I am
      > going to put in a sound system (perhaps a Soundtraxx
      > DSX decoder).
      > My questions are: Can I just go ahead and take out all
      > the PCB's (do they control the motors better than
      > the Airwire decoder)? Without taking the motor blocks
      > apart - where and what are all the wires for? Will it
      > be easier to wire the lights up without the PCB's?
      > Does the Airwire have the ability to control the
      > marker lights and interior lights seperately?
      >
      > Any and all help is appreciated,
      > Thanks,
      > Brian B.

      Hi Brian,

      Maybe a slight reply delay and to the holiday weekend and week
      before....
      ...anyone have some thoughts here on this inquiry?

      Frolin
    • Joel Waterman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2006
        Hi Brian,

        I have done several GP7/9s

        I remove the smoke units but keep the PCBs for the lights. I add a reversing relay to feed power of the correct polarity to the PCB, which puts the right voltage on the right wires to light the right lights at the right brightness.

        I remove the slider shoes and cut off the wires from the truck side frames. I use one of the plugs just removed to power the PCB from it's relay (see above).

        I also remove the rear weights and stick the batteries at the back, with the AirWire card in the centre. Or you could keep the weights and put the batteries in the centre with the AW card at the back

        I also install an on/off switch, a charging jack, a fuse (in the fuel tank), and a hi-temperature cut-off switch.

        The motors are controlled directly by the AirWire card without going through the PCB

        Sound - Sierra sound track is NOT recommended (by me). Sierra DSX is OK for indoors, but it is not loud enough for outside. I have not tried their new tsunami (sp?). I would recommend Phoenix 2K2 or P5(when available) - lots of volume.

        Joel Waterman
        Rushbury Valley Railroad
        Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

        Frolin Marek <Frolin@...> wrote:
        --- "Brian Briggs" <brianobriggs@...> wrote:

        > Hey All,
        >
        > I am hoping one of the experts here can help me.
        > I am planning on putting Airwire (with battery power)
        > into a USA GP7 and removing all track connections. I
        > am also planning on removing the smoke unit. I am
        > going to put in a sound system (perhaps a Soundtraxx
        > DSX decoder).
        > My questions are: Can I just go ahead and take out all
        > the PCB's (do they control the motors better than
        > the Airwire decoder)? Without taking the motor blocks
        > apart - where and what are all the wires for? Will it
        > be easier to wire the lights up without the PCB's?
        > Does the Airwire have the ability to control the
        > marker lights and interior lights seperately?
        >
        > Any and all help is appreciated,
        > Thanks,
        > Brian B.

        Hi Brian,

        New Message Search
        Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved message search.

        Share feedback on the new changes to Groups

        Visit Your Group

        N scale train set
        Ho scale trains
        Ho scale model train