Adding Proline Smoke Unit

  • tommymejia
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2013
      I am installing a Train-Li USA Proline pulsed smoke in a Bachmann 4-6-0 with Barry's Drive, 14.8 battery, Airwire G3, Phoenix P8 and LED front and rear lighting. All the wiring has been replaced. I am using a reed switch and magnets on the tender wheel to generate the chuff sound.

      The smoke unit has has 4 wires, 2 for the smoke and 2 for the fan. Do I hook up the positive fan and smoke wires both to Airwire TM1 #10 and the neg fan and smoke wires both to TM1 #9 Smoke Module Driver. This will drive both the fan and smoke from the Airwire Smoke Module Driver – correct?

      Can you run the smoke only from the airwire smoke driver and hook up the fan to an unused lite driver like #8 and trigger the fan by assigning a CV value to the #8 output?

      If that is possible, is there a way to get pulsed smoke from the Airwire G3 unit by triggering the fan off and on?

      Thanks for any insight you can provide.

      Tommy
      Rio Gracie
    • Jonathan Bliese
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 16, 2013
        Tommy: if you connect it as described, it will work but will not pulse if
        the fan is connected to #9. Unless the Train li can pulse the fan on its
        own-not likely. What are the electrical specs of the fan unit? You can
        indeed connect the fan to one of the lighting outputs and set the cv on that
        function to a pulse of some sort. It will not be synced to the drivers but
        will still be a good effect- provided the fan current - or inrush at start-
        \does not exceed the light driver capability. Electric motors- such as the
        tiny one on the fan of the smoke unit- present a near short circuit for the
        millisecond they start- or change from no motion to rotation. The G3 light
        drivers are designed for LED, so they have failry . Page 20 shows how to
        connect a relay. A relay is a better way, but may not keep up with pulses as
        the train speed increases. It will work well at very low speeds, which is
        where the pulse effect is best anyway. Note page 20 shows rather than pin
        10, the connection is straight to the battery positive.

        Now, with all that said, the light drivers have a one amp output. Most smoke
        units I have seen can go from a max of 500- 600 ma(at cold start) down to
        300ma or so when hot and operating continuously. It is also not likely the
        fan will pull more than 1 amp at stall. No guarantees however.

        Jonathan

        www.rctrains.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 16, 2013
          Thanks Jonathan,

          I'm gonna try this relay method and see what happens. Going to have to do
          some more thinking first.

          I didn't get what you meant by "failry"

          From: AirWire@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AirWire%40yahoogroups.com>
[...]

          No virus found in this message.

        • Jonathan Bliese
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2013
            I do not know that word either. I was likely saying " the led drivers have
            fairly low current capability. I do not type very well.

            From: AirWire@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AirWire%40yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 21, 2013
              Thanks Jonathan ,

              I got it to work.

              I picked up a Radio Shack SPDT Micromini 12VDC Relay (275-0241).

              I wired 86 and 30 to the + Battery connection on the G3.

              85 and the neg from the fan to TM1 #8 on the G3.

              I wired the the diode across 85 and 86 (band to positive side)

              87 to the pos from the fan.

              Smoke neg to TM1 #9 and smoke positive to TM1 #10 on the G3

              Change the CV51 value to 13 (Strobed Double Pulse)

              Set the G3 to smoke on using F11 and the fan on using F12.

              Now I get a pulsed smoke although it is not synced to the drivers, I like
              the effect.

              Relay pin 87A is not hooked to anything.

              Tommy

              Rio Gracie

              From: AirWire@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AirWire%40yahoogroups.com>

              From: AirWire@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AirWire%40yahoogroups.com>