Re: [AirWire] G3 / P8 startup glitch

  • Geoff Ringlé
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 13, 2013
      Jonathan, Are we reading the same G3 manual regarding P8 hookup, page 34?

      I'm using option 2. The manual specifically states with option 2 "No surge limit resistor is necessary. Any battery voltage may be used up to the G3 limit of 24V."

      Yep, 18.5 V LI-ion. The next size down is 14.8 which is not quite enough.

      I'm not the only one that has experienced the problem. The problem is annoying, but after the bell, whistle and crossing whistle malfunction the first time they will start to function normally.

      Geoff

    • Bill Swindell
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14, 2013
        I have only installed 1 G3/P8 combination. I DID need to use the resistor. I
        had hooked the 4 wires to the DCC output and, without the resistor, there
        was no sound. Please note that the G3 only puts out ½ the DCC amperage as
        the G2. If you are using a 14.4v, 14.8v or higher voltage battery, you will
        need to limit the inrush current if you draw all of the P8 power from the
        DCC terminals. When my first install didn’t work, Al said to use the
        resistor. That made it work properly.