programming 3rd party decoders with NCE GWire cab

  • Richard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
      I have a very small large scale layout.
      I am going to use the CVP G2 to control no more than 2 consists at a
      time through the track
      http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/richardeberwein/G2/Wirei\
      ng%20for%20G-2%20s.jpg
      <http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/richardeberwein/G2/Wire\
      ing%20for%20G-2%20s.jpg>
      Will the NCE GWire cab program the 3rd party motor decoders with 100%
      compatibly through the DCC output of A G2 or will I need to program them
      a different way?
      Thanks
      Richard

    • Nick Kelsey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2011
        I am curious as to why you would use a board (Airwire G2) designed to be
        mounted in rolling stock with battery power to accomplish what seems to
        be a DCC track power set-up?

        I would have thought a DCC base station with radio link and the NCE
        wireless cab and decoders in each loco would accomplish the same purpose
        and be more reliable.

        Alternative would be the Aristocraft Revolution Train Engineer with
        their trackside power receiver.

        Nick
      • Richard
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 6, 2011
          Nick:

          I am cheap and don't need a full blown DCC system.
          I have a very small large scale layout.
          With this setup I can buy any decoder I want or need.
          The Aristo Revo system is proprietary system.

          Richard
        • Joel Waterman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6, 2011
            It appears you want to program your decoder equiped engines using the Airwire G2
            - with an AirWire throttle I have done it no problem.
            Others have reported problems trying to program the G2 using the NCE cab.

            It appears you want to run them using the G2 motor outputs, which are not DCC
            outputs so I would ask why you would want to do this.

            If you want to run using the G'2s DCC outputs, remember the capacity is only 3
            amps (a bit less than the 6200 you show as a power supply)
             Joel Waterman
            Rushbury Valley Railroad
            rushbury_valley@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 6, 2011
              Joel

              I put a DPDT switch in the circuit so if someone came over to run their DC only engine they could and still have wireless control.

              I am wondering if I could program the DCC equipped locos with the NCE GWire cab thou the DCC output of the G2.

              I won't be changing any of the program on the G2,just using it for the dc output for dc only engines.
              Richard